CAPACITY for the region’s main hospital to deal with a winter surge is proving to be a major fear.

On Monday, 109 patients were on trolleys in the emergency department of University Hospital Limerick (UHL), according to the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation. The figure is double the number that there was in the emergency department on the same day in 2021 or 2022.

UL Hospitals Group disputed the figure. They said the HSE’s alternative Trolley GAR database recorded a total of 75 patients on Monday. This is comprised of 25 patients in the Emergency Department, 18 in the Acute Medical Unit and 32 on trolleys in inpatient wards, a spokesperson said while acknowledging that the level of overcrowding is far in excess of where they want it to be and that an escalation plan is in place to maximise patient flow and create additional capacity.

Noeleen Moran of the Mid-West Hospital Campaign stated “at this moment, the campaign is deeply concerned about the situation that may arise at UHL ED during the forthcoming Winter, Christmas and New Year period. We call on the HSE and the UL Hospitals Group to immediately outline the measures being taken to avoid what may well be an inevitable and uncontrollable meltdown of emergency healthcare in the Mid-West during that period”.

She claimed that of the 109 figure that the patients had been triaged and deemed necessary to receive further treatment. “This can be overlooked particularly when attempts are made to downplay the figures. Yet again the people of the Mid-West are bearing the brunt of the lack of support from Government for additional Emergency Department services in our region. We have been failed by our elected or appointed political representatives, most of whom have not stated that they support additional emergency services for us, the people of the region”.

Ballyvaughan native Noeleen added, “We have heard it all: the money that has already been invested, that money is no problem: that the clinical experts do not recommend the expansion or reinstatement of emergency provision, that Ennis, Nenagh and St. John’s are unsafe, that a further ninety-six beds will be ready in 2024 with a further ninety-six two years later, that the region needs more private hospitals, more elective hospitals. Yet we have a situation when in our small region at least one person a day is dying as a direct result of the failures of an inadequate and failed Emergency Department. A very, very small number of our politicians across the region have stated that they do support the reinstatement of services in the region. The silence or spin of the rest saying a lot but in effect saying nothing will no longer work”.

Advertisement

Related News

jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
Latest News
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
Premium
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.