*It is the fourth child of this couple to be taken into State care. 

TUSLA, the Child and Family Agency (CFA) is to seek a full care order until the age of 18 for a new born baby boy who was effectively abandoned at the maternity hospital by his mother four days after his birth.

At the Family Law Court, solicitor for TUSLA, Kevin Sherry said that the CFA is to bring a care order application under Section 18 of the Child Care Act in relation to the baby boy for the next court date in March.

Mr Sherry said that the baby boy is “thriving” in his foster placement where he is living with a sister who is also in CFA care at the same foster home.

The baby boy is the couple’s fourth child to enter State care and the brother and sister’s two siblings live in another county.

Mr Sherry told Judge Alec Gabbett that TUSLA’s efforts at getting the new baby’s parents to engage with the court process have so far failed.

Judge Gabbett commented: “There have been various excursions (by TUSLA staff) and you can only bring a horse to water so many times.”

The baby is now around 13 weeks old and after the mother – described as ‘very vulnerable’ in court – discharged herself from the maternity unit in December, TUSLA moved in and secured an Interim Care Order (ICO) for the then four day old baby boy.

Judge Gabbett said that he came across the parents in two other court areas on care order issues for their children “and they have never engaged”.

Judge Gabbett said, “They have never engaged. Never. What are we going to do? We have to keep going. The child will have to go into care”.

Mr Sherry said, “Yes judge”.

He said that CFA has tried to engage with the parents in order for them to undergo assessments.

However, after the parents’ failure to engage, Mr Sherry said, “That is not going to happen now. We have tried”.

On hearing that the baby is thriving in foster care, Judge Gabbett said, “We can’t have trauma in this case because there was no time to traumatise the baby”.

Judge Gabbett commented that people who are in active addiction and living lives of chaos and in a haze would “at least tell you that they are not interested” in the court process unlike the case before the court.

Judge Gabbett ordered that the CFA serve notice on the parents of the Section 18 full care order proceedings to take place next month.

When the case was before Judge Alec Gabbett in January he commented, “The mother discharged herself from the maternity hospital and effectively abandoned the baby knowing exactly what was going to happen as it happened three times before”.

In court last month, a TUSLA care worker said that the father did wish to have an access visit with his baby boy and the care worker was able to send the father a photo of his baby and a supervised access visit was to be arranged.

The care worker stated that the mother didn’t understand why her children are in care. The care worker stated that a parental capacity assessment carried out in 2016 found that the mother’s capacity to parent is very poor and raised concerns over cognitive issues.

The social care worker stated that she had concerns over mother’s capacity to understand the process. She said, “Mother won’t take any help that is offered to her”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.