*Helga Himmeslbach campaigning for improved road measures in August. Photograph: John Mangan

A FRENCH tourist appeared in court on Wednesday, March 20th and was charged with the dangerous driving causing the death of a 71 year old motorcyclist outside the Burren village of Ballyvaughan in north Clare last July.

At Ennis District Court, Oliver Le Bozec  (41) appeared after being charged with dangerous driving causing the death of Jeremiah (Jerry) O’Connor on the N67 leading out of Ballyvaughan on the morning of July 27th last.

Mr. O’Connor, who lived locally, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Solicitor for Mr. Le Bozec, John Casey told the court previously that his client, wife and child have arrived in Ireland just the day before to commence their holiday here.

A Book of Evidence was served in the case today and Judge Adrian Harris sent Mr Le Bozec forward to trial to the next sittings of Ennis Circuit Court.

Mr Le Bozec of Rue Georges Cadoudal, Locoal Mendon, France was driving on his own French registered car when the collision occurred.

In evidence of arrest, charge and caution before court on Wednesday morning, Garda Noreen King told the court that Mr Le Bozec made no reply after charge and caution.

Mr Le Bozec – who turns 42 next month – required the services of a French interpreter for today’s hearting and Sgt John Burke said that Mr Le Bozec could be remanded on continuing bail on the same terms.

Mr Le Bozec – who is in full time employment in France – is free to return home to France pending the case coming before Ennis Circuit Court.

Mr Casey applied that the legal aid certificate be extended to allow two barristers also represent Mr Le Bozec in the circuit court and for the Book of Evidence to be translated into French.

Thos convicted of dangerous driving causing death in the circuit court can face up to five years in prison.

Judge Harris gave Mr Le Bozec the alibi warning that if an alibi formed part of his defence that he must inform the State of it within 14 days.

Since her husband’s death, Mr. O’Connor’s widow, Helga Himmelsbach has been campaigning for improved signage and safer roads in the Ballyvaughan region.

Ms Himmelsbach has said that she is hopeful Mr O’Connor’s death will be the catalyst for critical traffic calming measures in the region.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.