*Photograph: Eamon Ward

US visitors will not return to Ireland until late 2021 or 2022, the Chief Executive of Tourism Ireland has told a Shannon webinar.

COVID-19’s impact on the tourism sector and the challenges ahead were discussed at a Shannon Chamber webinar on Thursday by Niall Gibbons of Tourism Ireland and Managing Director of Shannon Heritage, Niall O’Callaghan.

Leaders in tourism had never had to push the start button on the industry before, the webinar heard as the two men discussed the current challenges and those that lie ahead.

Twelve months ago, Niall Gibbons was the keynote speaker at a Chamber lunch in Dromoland Castle focusing on ways to advance the sector and recruit more visitors. Addressing the webinar, he calculated that up to 325,000 employees from the industry were now on some form of support.

Digital marketing activities are being re-engineered “to ensure that Ireland remains visible in global markets”. He said, “Our path to recovery will be based on assessing where the consumer sits in terms of a willingness to travel and when. We also have to look at access issues, given that seats into Ireland are now 95% down on 2019 levels and will, most likely, return to 2010 levels. We will also have to consider how many airlines will survive the crisis and how governments will fund route recovery”.

Gibbons maintained there were “green shoots of hope” with global markets reacting favourably to the roadmap for reopening the Irish economy.

“While we may see some recovery at the back end of 2020, it is unlikely that we will see any major recovery from the USA market until late 2021 or 2022, or until there is a vaccine”. He added, “We have never had to push the start button on the industry before and the coming months will require a huge effort to kickstart the industry again.”

A parallel was drawn by Niall O’Callaghan who compared the sector to the shape of the currach used by Tim Severin to traverse the Atlantic and which is now based at Craggaunowen Castle. He is also Chairman of the National Association of Visitor Experiences and Attractions (AVEA) which has 100 members that employ 4,000 people and injected €15 billion in revenue from 23 million visitors last year. “The scale of the challenge facing the sector cannot be underestimated; the economic retraction is unprecedented in modern times.

Presently “so many livelihoods are at stake” which prompted O’Callaghan to stress “an urgent need” that supports for the sector be unlocked, a reduction in VAT, the continuation of the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme and giving redeemable vouchers to every household in Ireland. “The new reality will favour those who have successfully navigated phases one and two. We now have to figure out what the new vision of success will be, given social distancing requirements.” Staycations must be supported in 2020, he felt. “If a monk can cross the ocean in a currach, then we can navigate the journey ahead”.

CEO of Shannon Chamber, Helen Downes was hopeful that domestic visitors would support the economy. “The new norm will be holidaying at home and rediscovering what a wonderful country we have. People might find Ireland again and given that the Irish spend more when abroad than visitors spend here, that augurs well for our economy”.

Shannon Chamber will continue to hold a series of webinars, further information is available here.

Related News

ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Premium
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.