*Photograph: Tom Micks
“THERE WILL BE UPROAR” in South-East Clare over the proposed route for the 43km Scariff to Limerick greenway, the former Chairman of Clare IFA has said.
Waterways Ireland are expected to lodge a planning application in the third quarter of this year for the first phase of the 43km Greenway which is from Blackwater Bridge to Errina Bridge.
Broken into five different routes, the Scariff to Limerick will be delivered in phases. The five sections are from UL to Clonlara Park, Blackbridge Crossing, Errina Bridge to Killaloe, Killaloe to Tuamgraney and Scariff to Tuamgraney.
Western regional manager with Waterways Ireland, Brian Treacy explained, “delivering the project in a phased manner will see sections of the greenway open and accessible in a much shorter timeframe”.
Planning will be lodged for the Blackwater Bridge to Errina Bridge section later this year, Brian advised. “With a fair wind behind section one, we would hope to have something open on the ground for the public within twelve to eighteen months”.
Officials from Waterways Ireland presented plans to elected members of the Killaloe Municipal District but on Wednesday they come under fire when briefing representatives of the Tourism Development SPC.
Farming representative, Tom Lane took aim at the officials. He admitted that he was an impacted landowner and met with officials in recent years over the plans. “Unfortunately some of our members have been trying to get in contact with the Waterways Ireland office for the last six months for a meeting but we’ve been told ye will not meet landowners”.
Lane claimed, “it is the landowners close to Parteen Weir that ye have not met, it is a disgrace that ye have brought the final route here and ye have not spoken to landowners, there will be uproar”. He said they were left without replies for twelve months after emailing a dedicated account for the greenway.
Senior engineer with Waterways Ireland, John Jones told the meeting he spoke with Darren Sheedy of the IFA on December 21st. Parteen based Lane replied, “He said ye refused to talk to landowners, I think it is a disgrace without having the landowners behind it, ye are undermining other greenway projects in the county which have had fantastic work behind them. I don’t know have ye adhered to the agreement with TII and landowners and I will check that out. I think ye are a disgrace”.
Deputising as Chair of the SPC for Cllr Shane Talty (FF) was Cllr Clare Colleran Molloy (FF). She tried to calm tensions in the room, “Let’s try address in a more constructive manner”. She added, “if we feel local farmers have to have more engagement then a meeting should be set up”.
Consultation will take place, Treacy confirmed. “No route selection had been presented the last time there was a meeting, everyone is still awaiting what is going to happen,” Lane replied.
“The final route is a corridor,” Treacy explained to which Lane remarked, “it is the same thing, ye have the preferred option, I can’t even send on a map of what is proposed here because it will spread like wildfire”.
Better consultation with farmers is essential, Colleran Molloy stressed, “otherwise there’s obstacles in the delivery of such a project”. She stressed the need of getting “buy-in from the community”.