EX US PRESIDENT, Donald Trump is not going to visit his West Clare hotel later this month.

Clean-ups had commenced across Doonbeg in anticipation of an arrival from the 76 year old but his plans for a two-day visit to West Clare between August 25th and August 30th have been shelved.

A spokesperson for Trump International Golf Links and Hotel confirmed this week, “The visit is not going ahead”. No alternative plans have been made for a future visit, the 45th President of the United States of America has not been in Co Clare since 2019.

Cancellation of his planned visit means the mooted €1m Garda security bill which would have been footed by the taxpayer, will not be incurred.

Question marks had initially been raised over the visit when Shannon Airport had not received notification that his private jet’s arrival when plans for the trip emerged at the end of July.

Further doubts came to light when passports belonging to the New York City businessman were seized by FBI during a search of his Mar-a-Lago property in Florida. He claimed agents “stole my three passports, along with everything else”. The FBI confirmed that agents had taken the passports during the search of Mar-a-Lago on August 8. The US Justice Department has since confirmed that Mr Trump’s passports have been returned to him.

Barack Obama’s distant Offaly cousin, Henry Healy had said he wouldn’t meet Donald Trump on an Irish visit if he was asked to. “I wouldn’t be hungry and I don’t play golf,” he stated. “He is a former President of the United States and so he should be afforded the dignity, courtesy, and respect that that office deserves”.

Trump’s €40m Doonbeg resort has been touted as to host the controversial LIV Golf International Series in 2024. The breakaway series founded by Greg Norman who designed the Doonbeg course in 2002 on 400 acres of breath-taking coastline, is funded by the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia. It had been speculated that Donald could announce plans to bring the event to Doonbeg while he was in Co Clare.

Doonbeg locals have expressed their disappointment with the cancellation of Trump’s visit.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.