*Photograph: John Mangan

AN EGM of the Clare soccer league decided by a big majority on Tuesday night in favour of setting up a jointly owned company with the CSSL (schoolboys league) to own and run Frank Healy Park in Doora.

The vote was 21 to 4 in favour of the proposal which will now be debated by the schoolboys league.

Cathal Jones, an accountant by occupation, outlined the proposal to the delegates present stressing that both leagues would have to support the proposal before the process would proceed.

“Both leagues (CDSL and CSSL) are basically run by the same group of people and everything is fundraised through the clubs. There is no joined up thinking and this has hindered progress. The concept is to set up a company and make decisions jointly. This is not being done to take anything away. The clubs will have the final say on whatever is done. The members of the proposed CLG will be the member clubs at any given time”, Mr. Jones told the meeting.

Cathal Jones. Photograph: Natasha Barton

He went on to say that the proposal was for seven directors, two each from the CDSL and the CSSL with the remaining three being put in place with the help of the Clare Volunteer Centre. “There three should have professional experience”, he said.

Philip Cahill from the league executive stressed, “there is no risk with the first step. The clubs will have the final say”.

Michael Guilfoyle welcomed the proposal as did Avenue Utd delegate Gearoid Mannion.

Some delegates questioned if the trustees of Healy Park had been consulted about this proposal to which Philip Cahill replied “we can’t do anything until the clubs here decide on whether or not to support the proposal and if you have doubts then vote against it”.

League cup to begin new season

The league cup competition will be the first competition for Clare soccer clubs in the new season which is about to get underway.

Delegates voted by a big majority (21 to 4) in favour of having the league cup competition before the premier league gets underway.

Raising the issue league secretary Denis Collins told the meeting that six clubs had contacted him suggesting that this happen.

Opposition to the change came from Avenue United and Newmrket Celtic, the league’s two leading sides in recent seasons. Avenue United’s Gearoid Mannion spoke of the importance for clubs to have good competition in preparation for the FAI and Munster Junior Cup competitions. A majority of speakers spoke in favour of the change.

Shannon Hibs in danger of folding

Shannon Hibs are in danger of folding their chairman Andy O’Mahoney told this week’s meeting of the league.
He explained that the majority of their first team players have left the club and that the league was ruling that their B team must go up to the Premier Division, “the players are not prepared to do this”.

He failed in his efforts to have the issue discussed by the delegates but was told by league vice chairman Ronnie Pyne who chaired this week’s meeting, that the committee would discuss the matter with him after the conclusion of the league meeting.

Related News

judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 diarmuid ryan craig morgan 1
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
ballyea warrior declan mcdonagh noel gavin 1
Ballyea Warrior wins in Shelbourne
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
Premium
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.