RTÉ bosses have confirmed that Clare based drama Smother will have a third series.

Season two of the popular drama starring Dervla Kirwan concluded on Sunday night in the coveted RTÉ ONE slot previously held by shows such as Love/Hate, RAW, Single-Handed and Kin.

Filming for the third series is to commence in Co Clare shortly, RTÉ have confirmed with this planned to air in early 2023.

Moy House is the home of the Ahern family in the show which was filmed across North-West Clare with Lahinch, Fanore, Liscannor, Spanish Point and the Burren primary locations featured throughout the show.

Funded by Fís Éireann / Screen Ireland and the WRAP Fund and with BBC Studios distributing the project internationally, Smother, has raised the profile of filming in the Mid-West region providing employment and investment in the local economy. Produced by Treasure Entertainment, the show has also boosted local talent with trainees assisting in its production.

Since its inception, Smother has been supported by the Clare Arts Office. Siobhán Mulcahy, Clare County Council Arts Officer explained, “Clare County Council is delighted to support and accommodate Smother logistically and behind the scenes, as we value its potential to promote our beautiful county, to provide investment and employment opportunities and to encourage the further development of local talent.

“It has also provided us with a valuable opportunity to deepen our engagement and further our partnership with regional film supports such as WRAP and Film in Limerick,” Siobhán added.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 eoghan gunning ryan hayes thomas o'connor jamie moylan harry doherty 1
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
kerry vs clare 25-04-26 emmet mcmahon manus doherty 1
Emmet named in Clare squad for first time of 2026 as injuries begin to heal for footballers
Premium
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.