*Gort Courthouse. 

A JUDGE has requested Gardaí to address court security issues at Gort courthouse ahead of the case where a local farmer is accused of throwing a bag of cow dung in the direction of Minister for State, Anne Rabbitte (FF).

At Gort District Court on Thursday, Judge Alec Gabbett made the request to Gardaí after Sgt Claire Heneghan made an application to vacate the scheduled contested hearing date into the case for later this month to later in the year.

The State was seeking to adjourn the case due to the expected length of the case as it would require a special sitting of Gort District Court.

In the case, Joseph Baldwin (39) of Ballyaneen, Gort faces prosecution where he is charged with assaulting Anne Rabbitte on January 4th 2023 at a public meeting at O’Sullivans Royal Hotel, Gort.

The assault charge against Mr Baldwin is contrary to Section 2 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

In court this week, Judge Gabbett told Sgt Heneghan that he wants Gardaí “to address the security issues” at Gort courthouse which houses sittings of the local court.

He said that he was conscious that the case has become before the court arising by way of protest “and this courtroom by nature of the entry and exit is not perfect by any means and I am not interested in a situation where we can’t control the room”.

Judge Gabbett said there is only one exit commenting “no one can get out is the problem. All is fine and dandy until it happens”.

Judge Gabbett said that it was his preference that the case be held in Ennis rather than Gort.

However, Sgt Heneghan and solicitor, Colman Sherry acting as agent for Mr Baldwin’s solicitor, John Nash in the case said that it was their preference that the case go ahead in Gort.

Judge Gabbett said that the case could be adjourned for mention to May 23rd with a view to fixing a date for possibly September 13th next.

Through his solicitor, Mr Nash, Mr Baldwin has previously confirmed to court that he is to contest the charge. Galway East TD and Minister of State at the Dept of Health and at the Dept of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Deputy Anne Rabbitte will be required to provide her sworn eye witness account from the witness box of what occurred on the night as part of the State case against Mr Baldwin.

Mr Nash will be able to cross examine Minister Rabbitte on her evidence on behalf of his client.

Minister Rabbitte was attending the meeting to hear locals’ concerns over a planned biogas plant for Gort.

Galway East colleague, Deputy Ciarán Cannon (FG) was also in attendance at the same meeting, which was called to discuss taking a judicial review against the planning decision permitting the biogas plant and €20,000 was pledged to the fight by those present.

Mr Baldwin is also contesting a second charge where he is accused of using or engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting word or behaviour with intent to provoke a breach of the peace of being reckless as to whether a breach of the peace might have been occasioned.

The charge is contrary to Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act. CCTV evidence is to also form part of the State’s case.

Those who are convicted of Section 2 assault charges in the district court face penalties of a prison term up to six months or a fine not exceeding €1,905.

Related News

cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Latest News
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-04-26 jody halpin owen mccarthy johnny ryan alan gough aaron mark mckeogh 1
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Premium
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.