*Photograph: Ann O’Connell

Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy is going all virtual for the second year running as COVID-19 restrictions have forced the iconic Miltown Malbay traditional music school to host all events this summer through Zoom.

The school will be providing online classes in piping, whistle, flute, fiddle, concertina, button accordion, melodeon, banjo and harmonica between 11 and 12.30 Monday the 5th to Friday the 9th of July.

There will also be an array other events and workshops throughout the week including demonstrations in traditional Irish forms of song and dance, a documentary on the life of Connemara sean-nós singer Johnny Mháirtín Learaí MacDonnahadha and a number of pre-recorded concerts.

The Willie Clancy Summer School was founded in 1973 shortly after the death of its namesake uilleann piper. Last year was the first time in its 49 year history that the school didn’t take place in person. Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy’s administrative director Harry Hughes said “it was disappointing” to have to move the school online again.

Speaking to The Clare Echo earlier this week, he said “We felt we had a duty to our community, the musicians themselves, our tutors and performers and to the prospective students to put on a series of classes for them”.

“Really we felt when we were doing it last year that that would be a once off and by 2021 we would be in a position to hold the full program again. In actual fact we had thought that maybe by Autumn coming into winter 2020 we [could] put on a weekend of events but that wasn’t possible obviously. We continued on, drew up the program for 2021 and then events after Christmas were simply prohibited and we decided early on this year that we weren’t going to be agonising about it we’d simply take the decision and go online.” said Harry.

In a normal year the school would attract over 1,000 students to the region making it both one of the most important annual cultural events in Clare as well as a major economic boost to Miltown Malbay and the surrounding areas. The cancellation of all in person events this year will be a significant blow to the area but Harry is already looking forward to their 50th anniversary next year “We would hope to be back with a real event and a full programme in 2022. Let’s be optimistic”.

Registration for classes will begin in early June. More details will be posted on www.scoilsamhraidhwillieclancy.com.

Advertisement

Related News

Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
raw killaloe 1
Popular Killaloe cafe and pizzeria RAW to close its doors
Latest News
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
raw killaloe 1
Popular Killaloe cafe and pizzeria RAW to close its doors
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
Premium
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered
clonlara v crusheen 23-08-25 diarmuid mullins colm galvin 1
The Water Break: Eruptions of excitement already with Clare SHC quarter-final pairings

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.