Ireland’s four newest coronavirus cases are from Co Clare, The Clare Echo has learned.

Two male and two female patients were confirmed to have contracted the virus. They had been in Northern Italy before returning home.

Nine cases are now confirmed to be on the island of Ireland with three in Northern Ireland.

Chief Medical Officer with the Department of Health, Dr. Tony Holohan confirmed the four individuals had travelled together and that they are being treated in an isolation unit in the West of Ireland.

Dr. Holohan could not confirm the location of the personnel when speaking on RTÉ’s Nine O’Clock News.

However, The Clare Echo has learned that the four cases are from a family in North-West Clare. The Clare Echo has also received confirmation that a primary school in the area has issued a closure notice until March 18th with a pupil having tested positive for Covid 19. “As a precaution school is closed from tomorrow (Thursday) for fourteen days re-opening 18th March. Public health doctors will contact you individually from tomorrow on”.

Dr. Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said, “There is still no evidence of widespread or sustained community transmission in Ireland, as seen in some other EU countries. While we now have six confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland, we continue our containment efforts, central to which is that the public know what to do in the event they have symptoms.”

COVID-19 is spread through close contact with an infected person’s body fluids (for example, droplets from coughing or sneezing). It is also spread by touching surfaces that an infected person has coughed or sneezed on, which is one of the reasons why it is so important that people wash their hands regularly, practice respiratory etiquette, and try to avoid touching their face.

The general public is advised to follow advice from the HSE and the Health Protection Surveillance Centre to protect their health.

Related News

siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 ronan pat kilroy 1
Clare's immense appetite makes U20 success taste much sweeter for Kilroy
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
clare vs longford 23-05-26 mark mcinerney ronan sweeney 1
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
clare vs dublin camogie 23-05-26 lorna mcnamara 2
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Premium
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.