*Joe Floyd. Photograph: Martin Connolly

TULLA’s Joe Floyd (IND) completed a U-turn on his decision to contest the local elections in the Killaloe Municipal District.

Less than 48 hours after announcing his candidacy to The Clare Echo, the Independent candidate released a statement criticising this publication for referring to events in his past and cited this in forming his decision to withdraw.

In a statement to The Clare Echo, Joe outlined, “After discussing issues with family and friends in the last couple of days, I have decided not to continue in the upcoming local election as I feel that old issues being re-hashed put me at a disadvantage and is disappointing to me and my family”.

These “old issues” are his 2010 stand-off with the County Council where he protested against the hiring of outside contractors. This protest resulted in a five-hour stand-off that involved armed members of the Garda Emergency response Unit along with other Gardaí, the fire service and the ambulance service.

An August 2014 sitting of the Employment Appeals Tribunal ordered Clare County Council to Mr Floyd €30,000 for unfair dismissal.

Back in 2019, Joe was a late addition to the ballot in East Clare where he polled 531 first preference votes and was eliminated on the third count. Political pundits had expected that the ex foreman would have received a lower vote five years on.

When going forward for the race this time round, the former Council employee voiced strong criticism at the expenses obtained by sitting councillors in the Killaloe MD and he was also vociferous in hitting out at a social media post from Cllr Pat Hayes (FF) which outlined his position on not using posters.

Prior to his brief entry into the race, Joe had given a commitment to Matt Moroney (II) that he would canvass for him. He joined Siptu in 1974 and had been part of the trade union for over thirty years.

Floyd did not wish to add further comment when contacted by The Clare Echo on his change of heart. He said he will never be putting his name forward for election again.

His decision not to seek election means that Tulla’s thirty year wait to have a sitting county councillor will continue.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.