*Dr Martina Cleary. 

‘DISGUST’ has been voiced by the founder of the Clare Pyrite Action Group (CPAG) with the vote made by two of the county’s TDs this week.

On Tuesday in the Dáil, Cathal Crowe (FF) and Joe Carey (FG) voted against giving extra time for an amendment put forward by the CPAG to the defective concrete block legislation to be discussed. Michael McNamara (IND) voted against the Government while Violet-Anne Wynne (IND) was not present.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, Dr Martina Cleary admitted, “I was disgusted, I was watching it live and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, it was my worst fear that they would vote against us despite all they were saying. With politics, it’s not what they say, it’s what they do and they voted with their parties and against the people of Clare, it will take time for the people to realise the impact of what they did. The biggest Bill in the State’s history will now be passed without due scrutiny or the concerns of homeowners who have experience of this”.

Neither Deputy Crowe or Deputy Carey have justified their position to CPAG, their counterparts in Donegal, Charlie McConalogue (FF) and Joe McHugh (FG) were noticeably absent for the vote. “It is absolutely shocking what has been railroaded, it is disgraceful that people like Cathal Crowe and Joe Carey have the gall to pretend everything will be fine if we get included in a grant”.

A total of 80 amendments to the proposed legislation had been flagged but will not be considered. “80 amendments mean there were 80 serious flaws, it is weighted against homeowners,” Dr Cleary stated. She believed the move was made “to exclude people completely” from a redress scheme and warned that a chunk of homes in Clare will now miss out. “The rationale behind the damage threshold was to prioritise not to exclude, depending on the damage to the house you moved up the line, if you don’t meet it now you won’t qualify, it was never meant to be that way”.

Appeals process on the scheme is “dysfunctional,” the Crusheen woman highlighted. “It is designed to knock you out, you only have 28 days to come back if your house is rejected within the new design scheme”. During this one month window, homeowners will not be allowed to submit additional information, “the material rejected has to be submitted again” while a decision will be made based on “a cosmetic visual inspection” and not core testing with no access to an independent engineer. An extension from 28 to 90 days for an appeal was one of the amendments put forward by CPAG.

In what she labelled as “a real kicker,” homeowners that sign up to the scheme will be “handing over their legal rights to pursue any third party that could be sued”. She said, “by signing the grant you are signing away your rights to pursue the supplier”.

Meanwhile, 26 of Clare’s 28 councillors have responded to CPAG outlining that they would support their call for due time and consideration to the amendments. No response was received in the two-day window by Cllr Gerry Flynn (IND) or Cllr Liam Grant (GP), Flynn has previously spoken up for pyrite affected homeowners in the Council Chamber.

Martina told The Clare Echo that some councillors said “they didn’t like the tone” of the email received by CPAG. “Seriously it’s time for them to get over themselves, we’re dealing with the biggest crisis in the history of State, it’s spreading like wildfire, the tone I’m listening to the walls of my house is more disturbing than any tone of an email I could be put together, the tone of that is enough to be worried about rather than briefing councillors what they should know to be talking about, get over themselves. This is the devastation of people’s lives”.

Advertisement

Related News

ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Latest News
st josephs miltown vs doonbeg 30-08-25 conor cleary darragh burns 1
Miltown down Doonbeg and march onto quarter-finals
João Tudella 1
Lahinch director's climate film to screen at Irish festivals
ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
Premium
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.