PÁDRAIG Ó CEIDIGH has stepped down from his role as Shannon Group Chair.

The Clare Echo has learned that that founder of Aer Arann has stepped down from the post. He announced his letter in a resignation to Minister for Transport, Eamon Ryan (GP) on Wednesday.

He is said to have cited work commitments as a reason for having to depart the role suddenly, The Clare Echo understands.

Ó Ceidigh was appointed as Chair in September on a three year term with initial reports linking him to the role appearing in The Clare Echo last February.

He was notably absent at a function to celebrate the resumption of transatlantic flights at Shannon Airport in the past fortnight. 

Formerly Chief Executive Office and Chairman of Aer Arann for some 26 years. He is a former winner of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award and represented Ireland at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year. His announcement as Shannon Group Chair was widely welcomed in the Mid-West.

When Minister Ryan made the appointment, Ó Céidigh said he was “deeply committed to working with the CEO and Board” in Shannon Group’s recovery from the pandemic. He stated, “The revitalisation of the airport is important not only for the staff who work there, but for the thousands of people who rely on Shannon’s air connectivity for their business and livelihoods”.

Prior to Ó Ceidigh’s appointment, the Chair of Shannon Group had been vacant since August 2020 when Rose Hynes’ twelve month contract extension expired.

Former Chief Executive of Aurivo, the co-operative owned maker of Donegal Creameries Milk and Connacht Gold Spreads, Aaron Forde was appointed as Hynes’ successor in February 2021 but within hours Minister Ryan had to withdraw this appointment after historical tweets criticising Travellers, social welfare recipients and the Tánaiste, Leo Varadkar (FG).

Related News

shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Latest News
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.