*Photograph: Fergal Clohessy

Less than one month after ESB refuted claims that redundancies would be sought at Moneypoint, over 100 jobs are to go at Ireland’s biggest electricity generator.

By October, over 100 jobs are to be lost at Moneypoint with ESB citing market pressures, carbon prices and increases in renewable energy for the drop in demand for it’s resources.

Less than a month after refuting claims that job redundancies were on the way for Moneypoint as contractors ceased employment, ESB briefed staff on Monday with dialogue commencing on on a lower running regime which is expected to take time to develop and finalise.

Ireland’s biggest electricity generator currently employs 194 people but the figure is set to significantly decrease over the coming weeks and months. It is the second largest employer in West Clare, behind Trump International Golf Links and Hotel Ireland based in Doonbeg.

An ESB spokesperson said an increasingly competitive energy market, the growing volume of renewables and the impact of carbon prices on Moneypoint output “has meant that Moneypoint is now running far less than previously and given these market fundamentals, a low running regime is likely to persist into the future. The impact of these factors is that Moneypoint’s income has been significantly reduced”.

“Consequently, ESB needs to realign Moneypoint’s operation and resources with the new lower running regime. Local station management briefed staff and their union representatives today on these challenges and set out proposals for a reconfigured option for running Moneypoint. The consultation now in train will focus on the staffing levels required for the lower running regime, including discussions on how this can be achieved”.

Technology options for Moneypoint post 2025 as it moves away from coal are being examined that aims to deliver large-scale electricity generation and fuel diversity. “The development of replacement generation for Moneypoint, however, is contingent on a project winning an open auction for a capacity contract and on being commercially viable”.

ESB will not comment on the amount of jobs to go as it develops and finalise plans of it’s lower running regime. “ESB is very aware of the uncertainty this creates for all our staff and ESB is committed to supporting them through this process”.

Speaking at Monday’s meeting of Clare County Council, Chief Executive Pat Dowling stated, “We are already in discussions with management of Moneypoint with regard to any future developments that may arise”.

Related News

shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Latest News
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
los paddys continental ballynacally
Christmas market is Ballynacally bound
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Premium
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels
Shane finding it 'surreal' to be preparing for Munster final with Éire Óg

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.