*Joe Floyd at O’Reilly Park in Tulla with the Doonaun development in the background. Photograph: Gary Collins

A lifelong Tulla resident has hit out at the manner in which plans for a social housing development in the East Clare town have been put in place.

Approval was given to a Part 8 planning application in April of last year for the construction of a 25 unit development in Doonaun in Tulla. The plans were backed by elected members of the Killaloe Municipal District except Cllr Pat Hayes (FF) who opposed on the grounds of water and sewerage concerns.

Seventeen local objections including a petition signed by forty five residents were among the submissions received last year. As a result of this, the provision of a walkway from the development to O’Reilly Park was removed from the plans.

County Councils use a Part 8 planning application when applying for planning permission for developments such as social housing or a Strategic Development Zone. Following public consultation, a report from the Chief Executive of the local authority is presented to members of the Council, this contains a list of people or bodies who made submissions, a summary of the issues raised and the chief executive’s response, it also recommends whether the proposed development should proceed or not. Elected members make the final decision within six weeks of the report.

A spokesperson for Clare County Council told The Clare Echo that they were “satisfied” all procedures with respect to the development were carried out in accordance with the Planning Act and Regulations. “Whilst there is no appeal process to Part 8’s, the development in this instance did not require an NIS (Natura Impact Statement) or EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment), and thus did not require an application to An Bord Pleanála. As such the Part 8 process was considered the most appropriate and in fact the only such process, available to the Local Authority to proceed with this type of development”.

Joe Floyd has lived in O’Reilly Park on Lower Main St in Tulla for the past thirty eight and a half years. He is of the view that the Part 8 process deprives people of having a say and cannot comply with the Constitution if it hinders persons that do not have the money to make appeal the plans. “It gave an organisation planning permission with only half of what they were doing on the plans. They then seem to be able to proceed and do whatever they like or add whatever they want, do it and tell the people after”.

“Incomplete drawings” were presented at the second public consultation meeting while the first was cancelled, the sixty five year old claimed. “At no stage was any of the pipelines that are put in ever in the original plan, there was no permission given to break into the culvert and keep digging to find where the flood was coming from, it looks like they have it found now and will be able to get rid of it and to hell with everyone else”.

Screens and fencing were erected in front of the development on Friday morning to reduce visibility prior to The Clare Echo’s arrival. He questioned the need to place an ESB box for the Doonaun houses in O’Reilly Park and cited his concerns relating to the sewerage.

Residents of O’Reilly Park are “being treated very poorly,” Joe felt. He said no sewerage plans were presented via public consultation and it is now intended to pump this into their estate. “We might as well be living in Moyross or O’Malley Park, we’re treated like dirt. If we lived in what are called the posher estates there isn’t a way in the world that they would do this. We are the owners of the houses and are actually a private estate, all things associated with the estate bar the sweeper of a Thursday morning we do ourselves, we bought our own lawnmowers, we have our own strimmers”.

A local election candidate in 2019 where he polled 531 first preference votes, Joe insisted he was not opposed to social housing, having previously lived in a Council house until purchasing it off the local authority.

Related News

Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
Latest News
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Premium
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.