*Michael Neylon. Photograph: Natasha Barton. 

MICHAEL NEYLON has announced his resignation as manager of the Clare U20 football team.

Neylon was ratified to continue for a sixth year at the helm at the September meeting of the Clare County Board but has confirmed in a statement to The Clare Echo that he has decided to step down as manager.

He told The Clare Echo, “Due to circumstances outside of my control I have decided, with regret, to resign from my position as Clare U20 football manager.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute working with our progressive Clare footballers, all of our management team members, sponsors, Clare Football Supporters Club and County board officials over the past five years. It has been my privilege to be involved with two U20 Development League O’Connor Cup winning teams and to be part of a series of memorable championship campaigns,” Neylon outlined.

Future roles with the county were not ruled out by the Miltown Malbay native. “Assisting our players in their journey to become elite sportspeople at senior intercounty level for county Clare was our primary objective as a management team. Every moment we have spent with every player on the five-year journey has been rewarding and enriching. I wish Clare football continued success and look forward to working with the county again in the future”.

A two-time Clare SFC winning manager of St Joseph’s Miltown and a former selector with the Clare senior footballers under Mick O’Dwyer and Colm Collins, Neylon was the initial leading candidate to become the county senior football manager following Mark Fitzgerald’s surprise exit as manager on September 13th.

In the subsequent process which followed to appoint Fitzgerald’s successor, The Clare Echo understands that top brass within Clare GAA encouraged the U20 manager to throw his name in the mix. As previously reported by The Clare Echo, he assembled a proposed ticket which included Jerome Stack as coach with ex Clare footballers David Russell and Kevin Harnett as selectors.

Ex Kerry manager Peter Keane has been put forward for recommendation to become the next Clare senior manager. That is following the work of the four-person interview committee comprised of Clare GAA Head of Operations, Deirdre Murphy, Clare GAA Chairman Kieran Keating, former Clare minor manager Dermot Coughlan and ex Clare forward David Tubridy.

Under the Miltown Malbay man’s watch, Clare reached the semi-finals in 2020, 2022 and 2023 where they were defeated by Cork in year one and to the Kingdom in their other penultimate clashes with the 2023 tie going to extra time. A quarter-final loss was recorded to Waterford in 2021 while they prevailed in quarter-final clashes against Waterford (2020) and Tipperary (2022 and 2023).

This year saw a move away from the knockout format of the U20 provincial football championship and saw Clare play five championship games in Munster, winning two against Waterford and Limerick but losing to Tipperary, Kerry and Cork which prevented them from making the semi-finals.

Among those to have been part of Neylon’s U20 management teams were Eoin Murray (O’Currys), Sean O’Brien (St Joseph’s Miltown), Colm Clancy (Corofin), David Geaney (Dingle), Martin Guerin (Liscannor), Diarmuid Carroll and Oscar O’Dwyer.

Clare GAA were informed of Neylon’s decision on Sunday evening.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 killian nugent oisin maunsell 1
'It's nearly time for pre-season & we're getting ready for a Munster final' - Nugent relishing Mills campaign
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.