*Criticism of the GP’s absence from Monday’s public meeting was heard. Photograph: Joe Buckley

MINISTER FOR HEALTH, Stephen Donnelly (FF) has met with representative of the Newmarket-on-Fergus Community Forum on the future of a GP in the parish while TDs have said the contract with the current GP should be revoked if plans to take the service out of the village progress.

Under the current HSE contract issued to Saffron and Blue Medical Centre in June 2020, there are between 840 to 890 medical card holders for a Newmarket-on-Fergus based GP.

Addressing Monday’s public meeting discussing the future of a GP in Newmarket-on-Fergus, Cllr Pat McMahon (FF) said he was “shocked and very disappointed” to learn that Dr Gavin was terminating his tenure at Carrigoran in September and planning to relocate the service to Clarecastle.

Such plans act “a huge blow” to the village and parish, he said. “I am absolutely baffled,” Cllr McMahon said of the developments and referenced how Dr Gavin won the contract from the HSE following a process where thirteen doctors had been interviewed.

Expansion of a wastewater treatment plant in Newmarket-on-Fergus gives the possibility of the construction of an extra 100 to 150 houses within the next five to ten years, he said, “this means no public service doctor serving Newmarket is the worst case scenario”.

If the relocation to Clarecastle occurs, the GMS list needs to be “rescinded,” Cathal Crowe TD (FF) stated. The GMS contract provides for the provision of medical and surgical services to persons with full eligibility under the Health Act 1970.

This stance was echoed by Deputy Michael McNamara (IND). “Partly because of the suitable location and partly with the split of private and public, it is a more attractive list when it is private and GMS because one finances the other”.

The Clare Echo attempted to contact Dr Colum Gavin for comment on Wednesday.

A meeting has been arranged with the Minister for Health and a deputation of the Community Forum with Clare TDs. Deputy Crowe said he met Minister Donnelly twice on the matter and that HSE CEO Bernard Gloster was aware of the matter. “The Minister is not revoking the list, there is no commitment of a magic wand to kit out a premises. The focus is to have a village centre practice”.

Paddy Enright. Photograph: Joe Buckley

“He’s willing to meet us directly in Dublin or via Zoom to take feedback from the public. It shows that it is very important when you have the Minister looking at this,” Chairperson of the Community Forum, Paddy Enright stated. He committed to having a second meeting if needed and to advising the community if progress had been made.

Related News

will document 1
Ennis woman 'deliberately dishonest' in 'frankly shocking' case of dividing farmers will of 120 acre farm & €1.5m
aidan hehir sam o'neill franky giuduci 1
CBS Primary Ennis students win Intel Mini Scientist competition
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
Latest News
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
Premium
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.