*PJ Fitzpatrick. Photograph: Joe Buckley

DECISIONS made following the findings of the hurling review committee last year as to the structures of the various hurling competitions in 2025 were instrumental in ensuring that a number of motions before this Tuesday’s structures meeting didn’t succeed.

Proposals from Clooney/Quin and Sixmilebridge would, if successful, have led to change in what had been agreed following proposals by the special committee set up to examine the hurling competition structures.

“A group of people sat down and deliberated and came up with proposals and, now, before a ball has been struck in the 2025 championships we are seeking change,” said Scariff’s Tom Crotty at Tuesday’s meeting.

Broadford had a motion asking that the senior hurling championship draw for 2025 be seeded into four categories as follows; Pot 1: four semi-finalists; Pot 2: four beaten quarter finalists; Pot 3: third placed teams; Pot 4: fourth placed teams plus intermediate champions.

Anthony O’Halloran of St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield said “at the moment the four semi-finalists are seeded and the current system add to the excitement and it gives everybody a shot”. Ruan’s Michael O’Regan was of a similar view as were the majority of those present.

Clooney/Quin proposed that if a club wishes to enter a new team at a higher level than the current entry level of Junior C, the County committee should allow this but at no higher level than Junior B.

Last year’s hurling review report scheduled that the finishing positions of teams would determine their championship grade for 2025 and that led to strong opposition to the proposal put forward on Clooney/Quin’s behalf by John Skehan.

Anthony O’Halloran (St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield), Padraig O’Brien (Parteen/Meelick) and Rory Hickey (Éire Óg) were just some of the delegates who put forward the view that the recomedations from the hurling review committee should be allowed to stand.

John Skehan’s proposal was seconded by P.J. Fitzpatrick from Sixmilebridge but it failed to receive the support of any other delegate.

Sixmilebridge’s proposal to remove the cap of eight teams per grade for the under 21 championships also failed to win approval as far as the A and B grades are concerned. The meeting did give support to the CCC to change the cap for the lower grades.

Corofin’s proposal that applications for player regrading be dealt with online received support.

There were mixed views in relation to a proposal from St Joseph’s Miltown which asked that where two teams from the same club are playing in the same competition that players who have played in the B side may play for the A team but thereafter cannot play for the B side in the remainder of the competition. A majority favoured the system in place at present whereby clubs name separate panels.

Related News

ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Premium
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.