*Photograph: Joe Buckley

AN ARREST has been made in relation to an alleged assault of a male child which occurred in Sixmilebridge in October.

Serious injuries were sustained by the boy at a premises in Sixmilebridge on October 5th of last year and on Monday, Gardaí arrested a man as part of this investigation. The boy who was twelve years old at the time of the incident was brought to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) for treatment for the injuries which were reported as serious but not life-threatening.

Aged in his forties, the man was detained at a Garda station in Clare under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

He has since been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Once this investigation file is submitted, the DPP will have to determine if there is sufficient evidence to refer criminal charges against the suspect.

Gardaí are continuing to appeal to anyone with any information in relation to this incident to contact Shannon Garda Station on 061 365900, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda Station.

On Monday after receiving local reports of an arrest in Sixmilebridge, The Clare Echo contacted An Garda Síochána’s press office for confirmation on this. Initially, the press office claimed that no arrest had been made but an updated and factual position was later clarified.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.