*Photograph: John Mangan

A MAN accused of sexually assaulting a girl has obtained a restraining court order against the girl’s parents from stalking him.

In the first such case to come before the courts in Clare after the legislation to deal with stalking behaviour came into effect last Monday, the man has secured a Civil Restraining Order against the girl’s parents.

As part of the order granted on an ex-parte basis, Judge Alec Gabbett has imposed an order restraining the girl’s parents from coming within 200 metres of the man and also restrains the two from watching, besetting or threatening violence on the man.

At Ennis District Court, Judge Gabbett granted the order after the man told the court that the father “has been saying things to my neighbours that I was a paedophile”.

He said, “My whole life has been turned upside down by this person”.

The man told Judge Gabbett that he has already been before the circuit court twice on the charges concerning the girl.

He said that a jury found him ‘not guilty’ on one count and couldn’t agree on a second charge and he said that the court is awaiting DPP directions on the second charge that remains before the court.

Giving the background to his ‘stalking order’ application, the man told Judge Gabbett, “I have been falsely accused of sexually assaulting or inappropriately touching someone”.

In reply, Judge Gabbett said, “You have been accused, the ‘falsely’ remains to be seen but there is a case pending before the circuit court of sexual assault”.

The man told Judge Gabbett said that prior to the allegation that is before the court, the girl’s father “had been going around saying I had sexually assaulted someone else’s child in the area which I had brought to the attention of my solicitor”.

He said, “I have been to a psychiatric unit about him – I have been to my GP. I don’t know what to do, your honour”.

The man confirmed that he denies the allegation remaining before the court.

The man alleged in court that the girl’s father “threatened that he would stab me. This happened about a year ago and Gardai said that there is nothing they can do about it”.

He said, “I am distressed. I have had heart attacks. My wife is all over the place”.

Judge Gabbett commented, “This is an ex parte application and obviously it is all your side of the story”.

Judge Gabbett stated that based on initial evidence that he was granted the order on the basis that the girl’s father “is threatening to use violence against you and putting you in fear”.

Judge Gabbett said that he was instructing the Gardai to serve the order on the couple and has adjourned the case to Wednesday, September 11th where they will be able to contest the continuance of the restraining order.

Judge Gabbett advised the applicant to obtain a solicitor for the hearing on Wednesday when the other side will be able to give their side.

He said, “They may arrive with a solicitor who will be able to cross examine you”.

Related News

aidan hehir sam o'neill franky giuduci 1
CBS Primary Ennis students win Intel Mini Scientist competition
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
Latest News
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
Premium
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.