*Trevor Quinn. 

THERE is more chance of an Ennis teenager charged in connection with a broad daylight machete attack seeing Santa Claus before Christmas than there is seeing a psychiatrist in prison before then.

That is according to solicitor, Daragh Hassett who was commenting at Ennis District Court on his client, Trevor Quinn’s (18) failure to date to be assessed by a psychiatrist while on remand at Limerick prison.

Mr Quinn has been on remand at Limerick prison since November 21st after being charged in connection with an alleged ‘random’ broad daylight machete attack on Shane Tuohy on Ennis’ Mill Rd at 3.30 pm on November 20th.

Mr Hassett said that for two and a half weeks of his time on remand, Mr Quinn of Hermitage, Ennis has been sleeping on a mattress on a floor in prison.

Mr Hassett said that his client “has never been in custody, never been charged and never before been a participant in the court system”.

Mr Quinn was appearing via video-link from Limerick prison and Sgt Frank O’Grady said that the file in the case is not yet complete commenting that the alleged injured party sustained “very serious injuries”.

Judge Gabbett said that the case requires priority because of Mr Quinn’s young age. He said, “It really needs to be moved on.”

On the issue of psychiatrist evaluation, Mr Quinn said from his booth at Limerick prison, “I want to get evaluated because the judge ordered for me to be evaluated on the Thursday morning when I was in court and that was nearly four weeks ago”.

Mr Quinn said that he mentioned it to the prison Governor before Court and said that he was before the High Court on Monday for bail and he wasn’t able to get bail because of the issue of psychiatric evaluation.

Mr Hassett suggested that Judge Gabbett directed that Mr Quinn to see a doctor in prison “because there is a better chance of him seeing Santa Claus before Christmas than seeing a psychiatrist”.

Judge Gabbett said that a psychiatric assessment is warranted.

After Judge Gabbett further remanded Mr Quinn in custody to appear at Ennis District Court on January 8th, Mr Quinn said “God Bless”.

In the case, Mr Quinn is facing four separate charges and they are the assault causing harm of Shane Tuohy, a charge of violent disorder on Ennis’s Mill Rd and charges concerning the use of a machete and the possession of a carpet knife.

In court last month, Judge Gabbett refused bail to Mr Quinn after viewing photos of the alleged machete injuries to Mr Tuohy’s neck and ear.

Judge Gabbett said that Mr Tuohy was ‘3mm from death’.

Judge Gabbett said that Mr Tuohy’s artery was visible from the neck wound in the photos provided by Gardaí.

During the contested bail hearing, Judge Gabbett said that “this young man’s ear was nearly sliced off. It is but for the grace of God that this man is alive.”

Looking at the photos, Judge Gabbett said, “Death was not far off. One more millimetre and that artery was severed and you would have a minute at best. That is what really concerns me”.

Judge Gabbett said that the photos of the alleged injuries suffered show that they “were made with an extremely sharp implement with almost surgical precision”.

Related News

aidan hehir sam o'neill franky giuduci 1
CBS Primary Ennis students win Intel Mini Scientist competition
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
Latest News
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
Premium
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.