*Tony Kelly is on target to return for the end of the National Hurling League. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

CLARE’S lengthy injury list is expected to be eased somewhat over the next fortnight.

Defeats to Cork and Wexford have marked a disappointing start to the 2022 Allianz National Hurling League for Brian Lohan’s Clare. No games take place this weekend before facing Offaly in Tullamore (February 27th), Limerick in Cusack Park (March 6th) and Galway in Pearse Stadium (March 20th).

For their outings to date, Lohan and his management team of James Moran, Sean Treacy and Ken Ralph have been without Tony Kelly, Aidan McCarthy, Shane O’Donnell, Peter Duggan, Patrick O’Connor, Ian Galvin and Cian Nolan for both clashes with David McInerney and David Reidy absent for the Wexford game.

Since undergoing surgery for an ankle injury last year, Kelly has spoken of his target to be back in action for the end of the National League, a stance he admitted this week remained on course. McCarthy is set for a longer spell on the sidelines and at best would make the end of the provincial championships.

While the returnees will offer increased strength to Clare’s attack, the worry is that only McInerney and O’Connor are capable of beefing up the Banner defence which has leaked four goals in two games.

Speaking on Sunday, Lohan when questioned on the injuries to Kelly, McCarthy, McInerney and Reidy responded, “You’ve got Peter Duggan and Ian Galvin on top of that, they are long-term injuries, they are in rehab, we’re trying to get them back”.

“We’ve a two week break now so we’ll see what happens over the next two weeks, you’d be hoping to have one or two guys back for the Offaly game,” he added.

 

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 eoghan gunning ryan hayes thomas o'connor jamie moylan harry doherty 1
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
Premium
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.