*John Kiely. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

LIMERICK SENIOR hurling manager, John Kiely has said all disciplinary matters involving panellists are dealt with internally.

All-Ireland champions Limerick who are chasing a fourth All-Ireland title on the trot, dispatched of the challenge of Clare with ease in Saturday’s Allianz NHL second round tie.

Leading up to the tie, it was reported in The Irish Independent that a number of the panel had been dropped. Among them was impact substitute Pat Ryan from Doon, he exited the squad in the middle of the 2022 provincial championship. Kilmalliock’s Robbie Hanley has also been omitted along with Darren O’Connell, Brian O’Grady and Conor O’Grady.

Aaron Gillane’s presence in the squad has not been confirmed by Kiely. The three-time All Star was reported by The Independent to have been involved in an alleged disciplinary breach around Christmas and was not a member of the travelling party for the panel’s team holiday where they spent ten days between Florida and the Bahamas.

When asked by The Clare Echo if players involved in off the field altercations would be sanctioned by removal from the panel, Kiely stated, “That’s not here nor there for tonight, we’re here for a game of hurling not to be looking back on 2022, I’m worried about 2023 not 2022”.

He said disciplinary matters were a matter for discussion within the set-up. “I’ve no comment to pass on that, anything that happens internally is dealt with internally”.

Under the secondary school principal’s watch, Limerick have won four of the last five All-Ireland SHC titles and four Munster championships in a row.

Discussing matters on the field, Kiely admitted he was slightly annoyed with the matter in which they concluded the game. “Happy with the first fifty five minutes of it, it was solid is what I’d describe it as, we showed good appetite for the game, we were working hard for each other, there was plenty support on the ball, we used the ball very well, when we got in front of goal we took our chances, for much of the game happy but for the last ten or fifteen minutes we lost our shape, we allowed them to score 1-05 in the last twelve minutes which we’d be disappointed with”.

That the result had already been wrapped up was “irrelevant”, he noted. “If we could control it for sixty why couldn’t we control it for seventy minutes, we didn’t in the last ten minutes and that is on us, we’ve work to do, we’ll go back and get stuck into it. There was a load of positives in terms of lads back for their first game, lads who got game time, it’s all positives in terms of working forward for the league. It’s always nice to get two points at home as well”.

“It was important that we were better than we were last week, it was important that we were better in the third quarter compared to last week, those were the things we are coming after and had to improve on from last week, we’ve done that and it’s up to us to be a better team again team in three weeks time”.

Cian Lynch’s return to the starting team for the first time since April brought a buzz to TUS Gaelic Grounds. “He has a lot of work to do, it’s fantastic to see him back on the field and it’s great to see him starting, he is a huge part of our group, it was a tough season for him last year, he’s moved on and we’ve moved on, he’s now back to full fitness and has a bit more work to do but no more than anybody else,” the manager outlined.

From Saturday’s six point win, Limerick seemed sharper and fitter than Clare, spectators felt but the Treaty County boss was adamant they must improve further. “We didn’t look so fit last week in the second half against Limerick or the last twelve minutes of tonight’s game, we’ve work to do and the boys know that, it’s still early doors but we’re happy with where we’re at, we’ve to push forward now”.

Debutant Micheál Houlihan impressed with 0-12 from wing forward but must continue this form to keep in contention, Kiely stressed. “He is one of many that did well in the first fifty or sixty minutes, if he’s going to earn his place on the team he’s going to have to do that on a regular basis, well done to him tonight but it has to be backed up again going forward”.

On the injuries sustained, he said, “Fergal O’Connor got a head injury, we’ve to be careful there. David Reidy, I’d say it was a hamstring injury, the extent of that will have to be determined during the week”.

 

Advertisement

Related News

Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Latest News
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
Premium
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.