*St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield hurling manager, Michael Guilfoyle. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

ST JOSEPH’S DOORA/BAREFIELD manager Michael Guilfoyle had every reason to wear a big smile at the end of Saturday’s Munster club intermediate hurling quarter final at Cusack Park.

He had just witnessed his charges deliver an impressive display in which them showed the greater fitness and in which the players introduced during the course of the tie had made an impact.

“They threw everything at us in the first half when we were playing against the breeze. Their honesty and their enthusiasm rattled us early on. We gave away some scores from turnovers and that was something we wanted to correct for the second half. We did that and we created the space and the legs helped us in the end as they did in the last game,” he said shortly after the final whistle.

For the second game in a row, the Feakle native believed it was the impact from their bench that made a significant difference. “These guys are chomping at the bit to get on and its getting harder to pick the team each day but that’s what the manager’s job is”.

He told The Clare Echo, “We knew what these lads (Causeway) would bring. Kilmoyley got to the All-Ireland final last year and they weren’t even in the shakeup in Kerry this year. These guys played their county final three months ago. It was hard to keep going for three months but I had checked and they had some challenge matches played. They were worthy champions down there. They are big physical men, bigger than I thought they were but our guys stood up in the second half when the pressure was on. I’m delighted to move forward another step”.

Doora/Barefield returned to training on the Thursday night after winning the Clare IHC title and then watched their U21 hurlers qualify for the championship quarter-final defeating Sixmilebridge.

“A few years ago in 2016 some of these lads let themselves down in the Gaelic Grounds against Monaleen. We told them to focus on today and that there is a prize at the end of it. We will be up for the next day and it would be great to get into the Gaelic Grounds again. It’s two weeks again. We will prepare now, get the bodies recovered. As I said it was a difficult job to pick the team for today and they made it more difficult as the match went on as the lads that came in did well”. It’s full steam ahead now for the next day”, he concluded.

Related News

m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Latest News
m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 ronan pat kilroy 1
Clare's immense appetite makes U20 success taste much sweeter for Kilroy
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
Premium
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.