*Clare LGFA Chair Seán Lenihan. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

DEBATE and questions on what led to a three week delay of the Clare senior ladies football championship were shut down during a tetchy board meeting this weekend.

Club delegates gathered for a rare in-person meeting at Fr MacNamara Park on Tuesday evening in what was first meeting since the three week delay to the senior championship occurred.

An appeal had been lodged with Complaints Objections Disciplinary and Appeals (CODA) following the third round of games played in the senior championship at the beginning of September. This investigation focused on the registration of one Kilmihil player and the matter came to light following their game with Kilmurry Ibrickane.

Kilmihil’s Monica Callinan told the meeting she had questions relating to procedures, “we had this whole debacle”. Chairman of Clare LGFA, Seán Lenihan interrupted her contribution to point out, “before you start. We don’t want individual cases mentioned, we don’t want specifics mentioned of cases which have gone through a process”.

A former secretary of Clare LGFA, Monica pointed out that somebody must be a member of an organisation to bring an issue to CODA, “I will speak on my own case,” she said to which Lenihan interjected, “I will rule you out of order. It was not a debacle”.

Clarification was sought on three occasions over the past month by Kilmihil, “we never got clarification on who objected. I will continue to speak”. “Respect the Chair,” Lenihan said. “I need to be respected. You did not answer the questions asked. How did the Kilmihil team sheet land with county secretary before the referee’s report was filed,” Callinan asked.

Lenihan replied, “An issue arose, it was referred to by CODA”, he said the manner in which it came to light did not matter to which Enda O’Flaherty of St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield said “it does matter” as did Callinan. “Who in the Executive brought the issue forward. How did the issue come to light two hours after we played Kilmurry Ibricakne,” she asked.

“We won’t debate this across a public floor,” the Chairman said. Callinan replied, “you cannot submit something in writing without no signature or disclosure”. The Chairman said he was happy to “go to Dublin on this” and that CODA were “entitled to look into anything” while telling delegates “read the rules”.

Monica and Kevin Callinan. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

Callinan told the meeting, “I’m aware of the rules”. The Chairman said, ‘we’re not getting into the individual cases” and added “the bottom line on the case you brought up and I feel bad bringing it up, it was referred to CODA by the Clare Executive, a hearing committee convened and the matter is closed”.

While attempting to ask further questions, Callinan said “you can complain me to CODA” and Lenihan said, “it is finished, I’m closing down the debate”. He acknowledged the presence of the media and advised that “meetings are normally very friendly”.

O’Flaherty questioned why it took three weeks to deal with the investigation. Lenihan said the matter was referred to CODA, “I’m not going into the detail” but said a second and third CODA had to be convened due to “a conflict of interest”. He continued, “we at all stages consulted with Dublin, the existing hearings committee had a conflict of interest so we had to compile a new committee”. Confusion exists because “CODA is impartial”, O’Flaherty said.

“I don’t care if ye want to complain me,” the Chairman told delegates. He said the officials are “here for the betterment” of ladies football in the county.

Kilmurry Ibrickane’s Ger Talty said an “issue that came up” as a result was “people saying stuff in the papers, people were reading stuff in the papers, we were mentioned as having an objection made which we had to clarify. We didn’t have an issue”.

Lenihan in response said the Executive never said they lodged an objection and pointed to the back of the room to this writer, “the author is there. Paudie who was your source”. The meeting was told by this writer, “A journalist never reveals their sources. I’m not here to talk at this meeting but seeing as I’ve been mentioned, who raised the issue and made the complaint”.

Talty said the media were “told lies” and the Chairman wrapped up the meeting, “if Paudie is not wiling to disclose who his source is then that’s on his conscience”.

Processes were not followed by CODA in relation to an un-registered player and another case involving a club referral it also emerged at the meeting.

Advertisement

Related News

ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Latest News
João Tudella 1
Lahinch director's climate film to screen at Irish festivals
ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
Premium
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.