*Peter Keane.

EX KERRY manager Peter Keane was unanimously ratified as the new manager of the Clare senior footballers at Tuesday’s County Board meeting while senior officials in Clare GAA have said there is “no rancour” with candidates that unsuccessfully applied for the role.

Kildysart’s John Meade proposed the appointment of the Caherciveen man which was seconded by Clondegad’s Seamus O’Reilly who pointed out Keane’s connection to the Clondegad club.

O’Reilly told the delegates that Keane’s cousin captained the Clondegad club to the Clare junior title in 1969.

Putting forward Keane’s name for ratification, chairman Kieran Keating said “he has a few of his backroom team appointed and he is working on a few others, physios and medical”, before asking if anyone had any queries.

When the matter came up for discussion, St Joseph’s Miltown delegate, Michael McDonagh referenced the subsequent resignation of Michael Neylon as Clare U20 manager, he had been ratified to continue in the role for a fifth season at the September meeting of the County Board.

Michael Neylon. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill.

McDonagh a former Chairman of Clare GAA stated, “Michael Neylon has been involved with Clare for seventeen years. He is a great servant and a very loyal man. It should be acknowledged here the work he has done for Clare over that period of time. He was manager of the 20s over the last five years when they won two O’Connor cups and most of the players who played last year under Mark Fitzgerald were trained by Michael. He is loyal, he is honest and he is going to be a great loss”.

He went on to pay tribute to Declan Downes “who has been involved in Clare football for the last ten years. He has stepped away as well and he could have walked away last year when Colm (Collins) stepped away. He was the only Clare man together with Jim Marrinan, who stood up last year and that should be acknowledged here tonight also”. McDonagh went on to wish Eoin Curtin, a selector with Keane in the newly appointed management,

“I concur with that. Michael has been a very loyal and dedicated and influential servant to Clare football, particularly in the last five years. I am disappointed that he felt he couldn’t continue in the role when we didn’t select him for the senior position”, chairman Kieran Keating said.

McDonagh replied, “He withdrew due to circumstances outside his control”.

Head of Operations with Clare GAA, Deirdre Murphy told the meeting, “while we are delighted with the decision we have made, this is on amicable terms and it’s probably good for Michael to try something else now. There is no rancour there. There is nobody in this board that has anything but time and admiration for Michael Neylon for what he has done for Clare football and I would hope, given the meeting I had with him yesterday, that he is not lost to Clare football forever. It’s fair enough for him from his own perspective, to take a bit of time off”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.