*The comments were made in the Family Law Court. 

A JUDGE has stated that he is “terrified” that a 17-year old boy in State care “who can barely boil an egg” will end up in emergency accommodation in a hotel on reaching his 18th birthday next month.

At the Family Law Court in Ennis, Judge Alec Gabbett made his comments when expressing his frustration at efforts by TUSLA to provide after-care and suitable accommodation for the teenage boy after he turns 18 next month.

The boy is currently under the care of TUSLA, the Child and Family Agency (CFA) and Judge Gabbett said that TUSLA is currently spending €6,000 per month on accommodation for the boy where two care workers providing round the clock care for him.

Judge Gabbett said that he wants TUSLA to continue the fund the teenager’s care at his current placement after he turns 18 until suitable alternative accommodation can be found. Judge Gabbett said: “He is very happy there…we can’t throw this boy out”.

In May of last year, Judge Gabbett ordered medical intervention for the teenager after being told at that time he had only had one shower to date in 2023.

Solicitor for TUSLA, Kevin Sherry said that the teenager is now on a Focus Ireland waiting list for accommodation when he turns eighteen.

Mr Sherry said that the TUSLA after-care service are “trying their level best to finalise an after-care plan for the teenager”.

Judge Gabbett said, “This boy hasn’t attended school in three or four years, can barely boil an egg, was barely able to wash himself last January and yet we are proposing that he live independently?”

He said, “The boy’s independent living skills are not there at all”.

Judge Gabbett said that the teenager “is crippled by a severe emotional disorder”. He said, “He is not in education and never will be”.

Judge Gabbett said that the boy’s 18th birthday next month “is coming like an express train” and that he won’t have any jurisdiction over the boy’s care once he turns 18.

Judge Gabbett said, “Once he turns 18 technically he could walk out the door and there is nothing the CFA could do about it”.

He said, “The boy is being sent out into the world to live in a Focus Ireland house with very little support”.

Judge Gabbett said that he was still “in the dark” about the level of support that will be provided to the boy. The judge said the teen “has fallen between the cracks in the system” as he doesn’t meet the HSE’s “very high threshold” of meeting the criteria to be diagnosed with a complex disability in order for the HSE to care for him.

Judge Gabbett remarked that the responsibility lies for the teenager with the CFA as it appears that the HSE “want to run a mile from it – they don’t want to touch it with a barge pole”.

Judge Gabbett adjourned the case to next Thursday. Judge Gabbett said that needs to hear from the CFA “where this boy is going to going to go”.

Related News

ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-04-26 jody halpin owen mccarthy johnny ryan alan gough aaron mark mckeogh 1
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Premium
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.