*Clare’s Tony Kelly. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

TONY Kelly sustained a setback in Clare training prior to Sunday’s win over Cork which ruled him out of the matchday squad.

Prior to Christmas, Kelly underwent an operation on his ankle, missing out on the entire Allianz National Hurling League. He was introduced as a substitute when Clare were leading Limerick 1-15 0-11 but they ended up losing to the All-Ireland champions by three points.

He was expected to fight his way into the starting fifteen for the second round with Cork but these plans were dealt a blow when the Ballyea man did damage to his ankle in training.

A break until Clare’s next outing on May 19th at home to Waterford will help the four-time All Star who did not do major damage to his recovery last week. The 2013 Hurler of the Year is expected to be fit enough to make the panel for the visit of the Déise.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, Clare selector Ken Ralph admitted that the losses of Tony Kelly and midfielder Darragh Lohan both of whom had been named in the matchday panel were blows. “We really missed Darragh Lohan last week when he had to go off, he has been playing really really well this year. Of course the injuries were a worry.

“Obviously when Tony (Kelly) is out it’s always a worry, it was a bit of a downer when he got a bit of a setback in training during the week. Again that was for the whole panel to absorb and deal with. After last week you might be thinking, mentally fragile, but they dealt with everything, and really met it head on this week. You have to be proud of them. Tony was almost there and hopefully he will be back shortly,” he said.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.