*Seamus Hayes interviewing Alan Sweeney and Donie Garrihy of St Breckans. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

ONE OF the county’s most experienced journalists has declined an offer to become PRO of Clare GAA.

Seamus Hayes was the only nominee for the vacant PRO post, the March meeting of the County Board was informed this week.

Speaking at the meeting which took place in Treacy’s West County Hotel, the Lissycasey man declined the post and revealed that no officer made any official approach to him after numerous clubs nominated him to become PRO.

He stated, “This is the first anyone has officially said to me about the position. I learned of my nomination when I asked the secretary if any nominations had been received”.

Hayes revealed that his predecessor, Michael O’Connor who is now the Vice Chairman wanted to issue a statement to announce his nomination. “The only other mention of this to me was by the former PRO who contacted me last week about issuing a statement regarding the nomination,” he informed delegates.

Chairman Kieran Keating then told the meeting “we are still seeking nominations for this position” and he asked clubs to submit nominations for same.

No clubs or officials questioned Hayes on his decision to decline the offer. Seamus spent 49 years working with The Clare Champion, his departure from the paper coincided with a reduction in its once comprehensive sports coverage. Since his exit from Barrack St, he has worked as a freelance reporter with publications such as The Clare Echo, The Clare People and The Irish Star.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.