Michael McNamara

Criticism of the Government to build “sufficient hospital capacity” has been voiced by a Clare TD.

Just nine beds additional beds have been provided across the entire country this year by the Irish Government.

During Leader’s Questions on Wednesday, Deputy Michael McNamara (IND) aired his frustration to better equip the nation’s health service and asked the Taoiseach what is being done to increase hospital capacity.

Of the 293 patients on trolleys on Monday, 60 of them were at University Hospital Limerick. “For all the billions that have been spent addressing the pandemic, the Government has failed to build sufficient hospital capacity,” the Clare TD stated.

Deputy McNamara commented, “We imported the ideas of lockdowns from China but in China they also built hospitals in fourteen days in response to COVID-19, the HSE’s capacity census last year showed ICU capacity in Ireland increased from 255 to 280 in the nine months from April to December”.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin (FF) said funding of €52m was provided in Budget 2021 to allow for 66 permanent critical care beds to be put in place to bring permanent baseline capacity to 321 by the end of 2021. At the beginning of 2020 the figure was 255. The leader of Fianna Fáil said 41 of the 66 beds are now staffed and opened permanently.

McNamara replied, “I’ve no doubt that money is being spent, your Government is throwing money around like its confetti, our borrowings are entirely sustainable but above all the barometre is the number of people on trolleys and the number of people on trolleys is still at an all-time high, whatever you’re doing and money you’re spending is not having the impact that we need because there are 60 people on trolleys in Limerick last Monday, that is not good enough”.

Related News

LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
michael mcnamara 6
Strong merit in restricting social media use for teens - McNamara
clareabbey roundabout 1
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
Latest News
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
clare v tipperary camogie 21-05-22 17 muireann scanlon
'We want to build steel and the skills will follow' - Foudy focused on building spirit of Clare side
michael mcnamara 6
Strong merit in restricting social media use for teens - McNamara
clare v cork 04-02-24 robin mounsey physio 1
Mid-Term break allowing Clare's injuries to heal
clareabbey roundabout 1
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
Premium
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
'There will be uproar' - farmers fume over preferred route for Limerick to Scariff Greenway
Ennis woman 'deliberately dishonest' in 'frankly shocking' case of dividing farmers will of 120 acre farm & €1.5m
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.