*Seán Kilkenny. Photograph: Joe Buckley

GARDAÍ are to put a ‘cease and desist’ undertaking proposal from the man charged with sending alleged ‘harassment messages’ via Facebook to Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF), a court has heard.

At Killaloe District Court sitting in Ennis on Monday, solicitor for Sean Kilkenny (48) of Tuamgraney, Scarriff, Daragh Hassett told Judge Alec Gabbett that he had put ‘a cease and desist’ undertaking proposal on behalf of Mr Kilkenny to the Gardaí.

Mr Hassett told Judge Gabbett, “I put the proposal, albeit only this morning to the State in relation to the matter. I have offered a certain course of action where my client would cease contact”.

Asked by Judge Gabbett the nature of the proposal, Mr Hassett said, “An undertaking to cease and desist”.

Mr Hassett said that he will put the proposal in writing to send on to Sgt John Burke.

Sgt Burke told Judge Gabbett that Gardaí, “would require time to canvas the alleged injured party’s views”.

Mr Hassett said that his client “reserves his right to contest the case in full. The State has to consider that offer otherwise on instructions there will be a hearing potentially”.

In the case, Mr Kilkenny is charged with on dates unknown between May 4th and June 26th 2023 did for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another person send by telephone a message that he knew to be false to another person without reasonable cause to Cathal Crowe.

The charge is contrary to Section 13 (1) (b) and section 13 (2) of the Post Office Amendment Act 1951 as amended by section 4 of the Communication Regulations (Amendment) Act.

Mr Hassett previously told the court that the case concerns “allegation of harassment on Facebook”.

Mr Kilkenny first appeared in court in connection to the charge last July and his bail conditions include that he has no contact with the alleged injured party, Cathal Crowe TD.

The conditions also require Mr Kilkenny to reside at Tuamgraney, Scariff and be of good behaviour.

Mr Kilkenny is also charged with obstructing Garda Joe Kearney acting under the authority of a warrant issued under Section 10 of the Criminal Justice Act on July 3rd at Tuamgraney, Scarriff.

Judge Gabbett adjourned the case to Killaloe District Court sitting in Ennis next month.

Related News

ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Premium
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.