*The Garda is currently suspended from the force. 

A SERVING member of An Garda Síochána appeared in court charged with drink-driving and careless driving in Ennis town centre last year.

In total, David Kenneally (41) of The Maples, Oakleigh Wood, Tulla Rd, Ennis is contesting three separate charges being brought against him that are alleged to have occurred at Abbey Street, Ennis on February 5th last year.

At Ennis District Court on Tuesday, counsel for Mr Kenneally, David Staunton BL, instructed by solicitor, Daragh Hassett told Judge Mary Cashin that “obviously this is a very serious matter for Mr Kenneally”.

Mr Staunton said, “Mr Kenneally is a serving member and he is currently suspended and there are a huge number of difficulties and ramifications with respect to that”.

In the case, Mr Kenneally is charged with drink-driving at Abbey Street, Ennis on February 5th 2022 contrary to Section 4 of the Road Traffic Act.

Mr Kenneally is also charged with driving without due care and attention at the same location on the same date contrary to Section 52 of the Road Traffic Act.

Mr Kenneally is also facing a summons of consuming intoxicating liquor with the intention to frustrate a prosecution under Section 4 of the Road Traffic Act at Abbey Street, Ennis on February 5th 2022 contrary to Section 18 (3) of the Road Traffic Act.

The contested case was specially fixed for today and State Solicitor for Co Limerick, Aidan Judge told the court that the State is to call 12 witnesses in the case.

Mr Judge said that his application was to seek an adjournment in the case as one of the prosecution witnesses is unavailable due to the death of his mother.

Mr Judge said that “the defence is insisting that I produce this witness and I have no option but to seek an adjournment”.

Mr Staunton said his instructions from Mr Kenneally are very clear that the witness is an essential witness.

Judge Cashin remarked that it was pushed by the State to have the case put on for today and Sgt Louis Moloney said that the case had prioritisation as a first case and was due to take two hours.

Judge Cashin remarked “with 12 State witnesses, two hours is conservative”.

Mr Judge said that “it is a case I believe should be given half a day” and Mr Staunton said “I wouldn’t disagree with that”.

Judge Cashin adjourned the case to Ennis District Court to September 20th to fix a date and Judge Cashin remanded Mr Kenneally on continuing bail and said that Mr Kenneally is excused from attending court on that date.

Advertisement

Related News

jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
Latest News
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Premium
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.