*Rory Gantley on the sideline during Tubber’s clash with Ogonnelloe. Photograph: Ruth Griffin. 

FORMER Galway hurler Rory Gantley has joined the Clare senior hurling management for 2025.

Gantley joins the Clare management in the wake of Shane Hassett’s exit and comes on board as a coach where he will be working alongside two-time All Star Brendan Bugler.

Clare manager, Brian Lohan confirmed the addition of the Beagh man to Clare FM following Sunday’s exhibition game in Cusack Park.

Photograph: Gerard O’Neill.

“Shane has been brilliant for us for the last couple of years, the professionalism and the coaching he has brought, himself and Bugs, now we’re delighted that Rory is coming in, we’ve been talking to him for the last while, he had a brilliant campaign with Tubber in the intermediate championship, we’ve had a couple of meetings so far so we are delighted to get going and get working with him,” the All-Ireland winning manager said.

A teacher at Clarin College in Athenry where he is part of the middle leadership team and holds the roles of Assistant Principal II plus Sports and Extracurricular Activities Coordinator, Rory was the coach of the Tubber intermediate hurlers this season. Tubber reached the Clare IHC final for the first time since 2020 this year and the Pat Taaffe managed side suffered an agonising one point loss to Wolfe Tones in controversial circumstances.

In 2021, he was coach to the Tony Considine managed Kilmallock senior hurlers as they won the Limerick SHC title for the first time in seven years.

Shane Hassett. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Hassett had been part of the Clare management for four years. The Drom & Inch clubman was a strength and conditioning coach for two years in Lohan’s set up before spending the past two seasons as a hurling coach and selector. He had previous experience of Lohan and selector Ken Ralph but in a different capacity having been a member of the playing panel with the UL Fitzgibbon Cup hurlers that the former Clare full back was manager of.

Cathal Malone’s omission from the 45 nominations for the All Star awards was questioned by Clare’s manager who felt the All-Ireland champions deserved more than six All Stars. “We are biased but we’d wonder why Cathal Malone wasn’t nominated and certainly to only get six All Stars is a little disappointing but in the overall scheme of it not that disappointing but a little bit disappointing and thinking of the other guys that were very close as well. Look we’ve had a brilliant year and a great recognition for the guys we have, just outstanding”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.