Shannon Airport has reopened following the suspension of services earlier on Thursday morning due to a fire. 

Flight delays are expected throughout the day with passengers advised to contact the airline they are travelling with as the Airport works through a backlog of flights.

At 10:43, the Omni Air International Jet Boeing 767-300 which rejected take-off was removed from Ireland’s longest runway having caught fire shortly after 6am. A cleaning operation was completed thirty minutes after the aircraft was removed.

Aer Lingus flights to Heathrow, Birmingham and Edinburgh were cancelled earlier this morning with all services now facing delays.

A spokesperson for Omni Air International which transports US military troops said, “Initial reports indicate no serious injuries to passengers or crew. Our primary concern at this time is for their safety. We are participating in the investigation of this incident and will release further information as it becomes available.”

In a statement to The Clare Echo shortly after 12pm, Shannon Group commented, “As there has been flight disruption, intending passengers have been asked to contact their airlines. Updates are available on the airport social media channels. We would like to extend our thanks to the IAA (Shannon Tower Business Unit) and our airline partners for their support in the management of the incident”.

Related News

cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
Latest News
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-04-26 jack kelly jordan ryan 1
Kelly making the most of the big days on and off the pitch
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
Tom Micks Photography
From Doolin to Dance World Cup - Broadway Dancers set for Dublin
Premium
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.