*Photograph: John Mangan

Gardaí were unable to serve a Book of Evidence on a 47-year old Co Clare man concerning the alleged sexual assault and false imprisonment of his ex-wife.

By Gordon Deegan

At Ennis District Court on Wednesday, Judge Mary Larkin said that the accused man was unable to come to court as he currently has Covid-19.

Sgt Aiden Lonergan said that the Book of Evidence is ready in the case and ready to be served on the accused man.

Sgt Lonergan said that as the accused man is unavailable the matter could be adjourned for two weeks and that the Book of Evidence could then be served.

As part of the prosecution against the man involving 22 separate charges, the man is also facing a charge of coercive control against the woman.

It is the first such coercive control charge under the Domestic Violence Act to come before the criminal courts in Clare where the man is accused of knowingly and persistently engaging in behaviour that was controlling or coercive and which had a serious effect on the woman who was or is his spouse between January 1st 2019 to May 15th 2019.

In total, the man is to face 12 counts of sexual assault, six counts of false imprisonment, two counts of assault calling harm against the woman, one count of criminal damage and the coercive control charge.

Sgt Lonergan stated that the case is to proceed by indictment to the circuit court.

The first alleged sexual assault against the woman is alleged to have occurred on October 15th 2018 with the final sex assault charge in February 2020. The alleged sexual assaults took place at two separate addresses.

Legal aid has been granted for the man and Gardaí have not opposed conditional bail for the accused.

As part of bail conditions, Judge Larkin has previously directed that the man surrender his passport, have no contact with any witnesses or the alleged injured party other than for the purpose of arranging access to a child.

Judge Larkin imposed reporting restrictions on the identity of the accused and alleged injured party due to the nature of the case.

Judge Larkin adjourned the case to February 2nd.

Related News

saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
timmy dooley jennifer carroll macneill joe cooney 1-2
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
Latest News
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
Tom Micks Photography
From Doolin to Dance World Cup - Broadway Dancers set for Dublin
st michaels killmhill
West clare first year students set for All Ireland Final
kilmurry ibrickane vs éire óg 02-05-26 gary twomey 1
Ennistymon's Twomey to take charge of Munster minor final
Premium
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.