Ennis is a safe location for potential couples who come across each other online to meet up, one local representative has said.

Fine Gael’s Mary Howard concluded her term as Chairperson of Clare’s Joint Policing Committee on Monday. She praised An Gardaí Síochána “open relationship and dialogue” which allowed members of the JPC raise matters of concern to the local community which were swiftly dealt with.

Among Howard’s highlights was the roll-out of the Ask for Angela campaign which was first piloted by Lincolnshire County Council in 2016 and Waterford earlier this year.

Hospitality providers across Clare including bar, restaurant, café and hotel owners all signed up with the aim of making the county a safer destination to socialise. As part of the code-word campaign patrons at participating venues are given a simple way to seek assistance from a member of staff if they feel at risk.

Cllr Howard confirmed she is not using any dating websites but according to personnel on them, Ennis is being recommended as a safe place for first dates. “I’m very proud of the Ask for Angela initiative, it has really taken off in Ennis. It is now being advertised on dating websites that Ennis is a very safe place to go, I’m being told this as I’m not on them”.

Related News

cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
Latest News
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-04-26 jack kelly jordan ryan 1
Kelly making the most of the big days on and off the pitch
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
Tom Micks Photography
From Doolin to Dance World Cup - Broadway Dancers set for Dublin
Premium
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.