*Emmet McMahon. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill. 

CLARE footballer Emmet McMahon is to miss out on the entire club championship with Kildysart through injury.

In what comes as a major blow to the county cause, Emmet is unlikely to feature for Clare in next year’s Allianz National Football League after sustaining an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

He is ruled out of Kildysart’s club campaign which begins against St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield on Friday evening in Clarecastle. Their Group also includes the most recent champions in reigning Clare SFC holders Éire Óg and the 2023 winners Cratloe.

McMahon picked up the injury during the closing stages of a challenge match in Limerick on Thursday of last week.

Kildysart manager, Maurice Walsh told The Clare Echo, “it’s an awful blow. It was in the last thirty seconds of a challenge game we played in Limerick, there was nobody around him, whatever way he landed on that foot, he pulled up straight away and we knew he was in trouble in straight away”.

Walsh said they received confirmation this week following an MRI scan that it was an anterior cruciate ligament injury. He is expected to meet with a surgeon this week, with an operation likely to be scheduled for August.

Speaking on The Water Break, former Kildysart footballer, Ger ‘Bobby’ Kelly said the loss of Emmet would be felt by any club team in Ireland. “He would be a huge loss to any team in the country, it is just unfortunate with the timing it has happened. All you can do is get on with it from a Kildysart point of view, the show has to go on, there is a huge game coming up this week so it is up to the leadership group to drive the whole thing on and I’m sure at this stage they have adjusted to the realisation that Emmet just won’t be available this year. It is full steam unfortunately without him”.

Peter Keane’s uncertain future as Clare manager will now have to take cognisance of the fact that he will be without one of his top players for the beginning of 2026 as the county looks to end a three year run in Division 3 of the Allianz National League.

A sixth senior inter-county championship campaign concluded for Emmet with Clare’s defeat to Louth in Portlaoise last month. He had missed out on the Monaghan game in the second round of the All-Ireland series through injury.

Advertisement

Related News

ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Latest News
João Tudella 1
Lahinch director's climate film to screen at Irish festivals
ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
Premium
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.