Local residents at the official opening of the Springfield Flood Relief Scheme. Photograph: Eamon Ward
21 homes in Clonlara will be protected from flooding following the completion of the €5.2 million Springfield flood relief scheme.
A sense of relief was palpable in Clonlara on Tuesday at an official event to celebrate the completion of the scheme which began in August 2021.
While works have been finished for some months, the unveiling of a plaque brought officials from the Office of Public Works, Clare County Council together with elected representatives joined members of the local community to celebrate what they hope will be a brighter and dryer future in the locality.
Flooding in Clonlara has regularly affected residents of Springfield as far back as 1995 with more recent events occurring in 2009, 2016 and 2020
Minister of State with responsibility for the Office of Public Works, Kevin ‘Boxer’ Moran (IND) sanctioned approval of the flood relief scheme during his first term as Minister almost a decade ago while it was unique that he was back in the post to officially open the scheme. The scheme will protect 21 homes in the Springfield area from significant flooding. The scheme was completed in partnership between the OPW and the Council. The scheme was designed by Ayesa with construction work carried out directly by the Office of Public Works. The scheme consists of the construction of an 850m long flood defence embankment across the floodplain at Cappavilla North and Illaunyregan, a pumping station, culverts with sluice gates, together with land raising at cottage and associated drainage, fencing and storage works

He was joined by Cathaoirleach of Clare County Council, Cllr Paul Murphy (FG), Clare TDs, Joe Cooney (FG) and Cathal Crowe (FF), Leas Cathaoirleach of the Shannon Municipal District, Cllr Michael Begley (IND) and Cllr David Griffin (FF). Director of Physical Development, Alan Farrell, Director of Economic Development, Carmel Kirby, Morgan Lahiffe of the project management office and Suzy Madigan of the Shannon MD were among the senior Council officials in attendance.
Ironically a heavy downpour of rain prompted all attendees to take shelter in a small marquee as the speeches were ongoing.
Junior Minister Moran said he knew “first hand the devastation flooding has caused for this community”. He acknowledged the people of Springfield had been waiting “a long time”. He described Clare as “a leading local authority when it comes to flooding and flood defences”.
Mayor Murphy admitted he was honoured and privileged to welcome the Junior Minister to Clonlara. “Today marks a significant milestone for this community, a day of celebration, hope and relief”. He said access has also been restored to seven homes which had been previously cut off. “You’ve endured trauma of flooding, fought for this scene, showed patience, we hope the fear and devastation caused by flooding will be a thing of the past”.
Director Farrell praised the ongoing collaboration between the Council and OPW as they progressed schemes in Shannon, Kilkee, Bunratty and Kilrush while noting schemes in Ennis costing a total of €60m were also completed. Lahiffe quipped to the Minister, “the marriage between the Council and the OPW is a strong one, if you’re willing to write a cheque we’re willing to spend it”.
Cllr Begley singled out the tireless efforts of Gerardine Quinlivan and her husband Joe to fight for Springfield to be protected from flooding. He lauded “her perseverance not just with politicians and the local Council but she travelled the country at her own expense to places like Athlone to talk and keep pushing this service, she couldn’t be thanked enough by any of us in Springfield and Clonlara”. He added, “it is great to have the pumps but we hope to never have to use them”.