*The site where a structure for a bandstand had been installed. 

ALMOST €50,000 has been wasted by Clare County Council on attempts to construct a bandstand in Bunratty.

In September, The Clare Echo reported how the Council was forced to pause plans to build a band stand in Bunratty after realising it did not own the lands on which the structure was to be constructed on.

Since June of this year, town and village renewal works have been underway in Bunratty. Part of these plans included erecting a band stand as a focal point in the heart of the locality. A major stumbling emerged when it was discovered that the Council were putting the band stand on lands that it did not own.

Prior to the works, the Council were unable to find a registered owner for the land and had maintained it for in excess of thirty years. This is despite the owners being well-known in the locality for their contribution to the area.

Over the past two months, negotiations commenced between the local authority and the landowner but in the past week the base for the band stand was removed indicating that these talks have reached a conclusion and that the plans will not proceed at the desired location.

A spokesperson for Clare County Council told The Clare Echo on Wednesday, “Shannon Municipal District is committed to delivering the bandstand in Bunratty and alternative locations are currently being considered”.

The Clare Echo understands that €48,000 has already been spent on the bandstand to date and the local community has nothing to show for it, at this stage.

Elected members of the Shannon MD are hopeful a resolution can be found with a site close to Bunratty Castle now to be examined as a potential location for the bandstand.

Speaking at the November meeting of the Shannon Municipal District, senior executive engineer Tom Mellett said they were hopeful of completing all works associated with the town and village renewal scheme by December.

Statutory approval for the town and village renewal works in Bunratty were obtained under Section 38 of the Roads Act 1994. The enhanced public realm works are to include traffic calming measures and the introduction of a number of pedestrian crossing points which will connect the north and south of the main road in Bunratty for the first time.

Related News

m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Latest News
m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 ronan pat kilroy 1
Clare's immense appetite makes U20 success taste much sweeter for Kilroy
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
Premium
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.