*Photograph by Chris Hathaway

Development plans estimated to cost €40m at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg Ireland have been stalled by Clare County Council.

On Monday, the local authority sought further information from TIGL Ireland Enterprises Ltd on its plan to build 53 holiday cottages, a ballroom/function room, a leisure centre and a new restaurant at the West Clare resort. The firm which was set up by Trump to handle the running of the Clare hotel and golf resort has been requested to submit a revised Natura Impact Statement. Issues on some technical aspects with the proposal were queried by Clare County Council.

Up to 100 people are to be employed during the construction phase of the development if plans are approved. Last year, the Doonbeg resort recorded its best year since the Trump family took over ownership back in 2014.

According to documents included with the plans, overnights at the resort will increase by 10 to 15 percent along with higher individual room occupancy. It highlighted that the 53 short term let cottages, ballroom and leisure building are necessary for the completion of the masterplan as originally intended. The proposed ballroom and leisure facilities are intended to diversify the range of activities offered and compliment the hotel’s existing facilities. The banqueting facility that will cater for up to 300 people is to replace the marquee structure currently in place to cater for weddings. Two objections have been filed against the plans.

Separately, An Bord Pléanala have yet to decide if an oral hearing will be held into the appeal on plans for the well publicised 38,000 tonne sea wall which would prevent part of the golf course being eroded by the Atlantic Ocean.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.