*Photograph: John Mangan

Clare has recorded no new cases of COVID-19 in a period of 24 hours for the first time since September.

On Thursday, the Department of Health confirmed there were no new cases of the virus in Co Clare. It is the first time since September 8th that such a scenario occurred.

Over the past fortnight, there have been 51 cases of COVID-19 in Clare. The 14 day incidence rate per 100k of the population is 42.9 which is the sixth lowest in the country.

In an update on Thursday, the Department of Health confirmed that five cases in Clare had been de-notified by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC).

Nationally, there are a total of 183 new cases. These are located in Dublin (56), Donegal (26), Limerick (13), Kilkenny (11), Monaghan (21) with the remaining 66 cases spread among 15 counties.

An additional six deaths have been notified to the HPSC. The death toll from Coronavirus in the Republic of Ireland stands at 2,080.

Speaking at Thursday’s press briefing, Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group advised that admissions to hospitals were “coming down but coming down very slowly”. He said this was happening much slower compared to the first wave. “A constant” amount of personnel receiving treatment in intensive care units has been observed, he said.

As of 2pm on Thursday, 239 persons were in hospital receiving treatment for the virus, 32 of which are in ICUs.

Professor Nolan outlined that an average of five to six deaths per day were recorded over the last five weeks. He detailed that case counts were not expected to drop further in the next week to ten days.

He said the approach to Christmas has a rate of infection that is three to four times higher than what NPHET would prefer. “We really do advise extreme caution over contacts per week”.

“It is a time of year when we think of family,” Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn remarked as he urged the public to consider the impact of their social contacts now ahead of Christmas and the potential risk that could be transmitted.

Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan added, “Just because things are allowable doesn’t mean we should rush out and do them”.

Related News

siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
clare vs longford 23-05-26 mark mcinerney ronan sweeney 1
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
clare vs dublin camogie 23-05-26 lorna mcnamara 2
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
clare vs dublin minor 23-05-26 gearoid madden donnacha mckenna 1
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
clare vs limerick minor 06-04-26 liam keane 2
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
Premium
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.