*The incident occurred at Ennis Garda Station.ย 

A 32-year old chef threw a cup of urine into the face of a Garda through a hatch when the Garda went to check on the manโ€™s welfare at a Garda station, a court has heard.

In the case at Ennis District Court today, Joel Lonia of no fixed abode appeared in court in connection with the assault of two Gardai while being detained at Ennis Garda Station in the early hours of Monday morning and Sunday.

Giving evidence during a bail hearing for Mr Lonia, Garda Sebastian Pychynski said that it will be alleged that while Mr Lonia was being detained at Ennis Garda Station on Sunday night, a Garda on the night-shift at the station opened a hatch to a cell door and had a cup of urine thrown into his face by Mr Lonia.

During the course of the bail hearing where Gardai were opposing bail for Mr Lonia, Mr Lonia said: “I am sorry about that. I want to apologiseโ€.

Along with the alleged โ€˜urineโ€™ assault, Mr Lonia is also charged with the assault of another Garda where the accused is alleged to have thrown Coca Cola into the face of second Gardaโ€™s face through the cell door hatch.

Mr Lonia also apologised for the second alleged assault.

Garda Pychynski said that there could be more charges brought against Mr Lonia concerning the alleged assaults

Mr Lonia was also before the court for three theft charges at the Ennis branch of Penneyโ€™s on Sunday where he is accused of stealing goods to the value of โ‚ฌ68 that included a military jacket and hiking boots along with a public order charge near the Template Hotel in Ennis.

When charged and cautioned, Garda Pychynski said the accused replied โ€˜suck my d**kโ€™ at 11.30pm on Sunday night at Ennis Garda Station.

Judge Mary Larkin refused bail stating that she was not satisfied that any promises that Mr Lonia gives not to breach the law will be upheld.

Judge Larkin stated, โ€œAlso the multiplicity of alleged offences over the past week shows that he is likely to comment further offences.โ€

In evidence, Mr Lonia said: โ€œI have no home. I have been sleeping outsideโ€.

Mr Lonia said: โ€œI have been sleeping in a Dublin Garda Station and in Ennis Garda Station a number of times.”

Mr Lonia has applied for accommodation to Clare County Council but without any success so far.

Mr Lonia said that he had been receiving โ‚ฌ206 per week in social welfare payments and that has now been reduced to โ‚ฌ175. He said: โ€œI am looking for a job. I am a chefโ€.

Sgt Lonergan said to Mr Lonia โ€œwhile there is great empathy for the position you find yourself in, there is concern that you will commit further alleged theftsโ€.

Mr Lonia said: โ€œI wonโ€™t.โ€ Judge Larkin remanded the accused in custody to appear via video link at Ennis District Court on Wednesday, December 14th.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
โ‚ฌ6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seรกn boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just โ‚ฌ3 per month

If youโ€™re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just โ‚ฌ3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter โ‚ฌ8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.