*Photograph: John Mangan

Confirmation has been issued by the Minister for Education that the amalgamation of secondary schools in Ennistymon has been approved for tender.

Following completion of a review of the detailed design stage of planned works, the Department of Education has moved onto appointing a tender for constructing the new school in the North Clare town which is set to cater for 650 students. The detailed design state took approximately two years for the Department to complete.

Debate of a community school in Ennistymon stretches back to the 1980s and 1990s. There are currently three secondary schools there, the CBS, the Vocational School and Scoil Mhuire. Funding for a state of the art amalgamated building was first announced in the last decade. Senator Martin Conway (FG) had been a vocal advocate in the Seanad on the need for such a facility.

On Wednesday, Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF) met with Minister for Education Norma Foley (FF). He said that the amalgamation of the Ennistymon secondary schools has been “a political priority of mine” since his election to the Dáil in February. The Deputy referenced meetings with principals of the three schools plus Cllr Shane Talty (FF) and Cllr Joe Killeen (FF) as examples of his commitment to the project.

“Unfortunately, this amalgamation has seen too many false dawns and premature announcements but now, the finish line is firmly in sight and I hope this stage passes quickly and we see the shovel hit the ground sooner rather than later,” Deputy Crowe stated to The Clare Echo.

Related News

images (14)
Ennis women's rugby documentary to chronicle historic All-Ireland league debut season
morey movement 10-08-26 seadna chloe 2
Morey Movement strengthens Sixmilebridge community through fitness
us military troops shannon (1)
Stopping military use of Shannon would damage Irish & US links says NATO commander
feakle festival 10-08-26 2
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
Latest News
images (14)
Ennis women's rugby documentary to chronicle historic All-Ireland league debut season
morey movement 10-08-26 seadna chloe 2
Morey Movement strengthens Sixmilebridge community through fitness
clonlara v inagh kilnamona 06-07-25 cathal tots o'connell james fred hegarty 1
'Inagh/Kilnamona are best team in this year's Clare SHC'- says Clonlara boss Madden ahead of crunch clash
us military troops shannon (1)
Stopping military use of Shannon would damage Irish & US links says NATO commander
feakle festival 10-08-26 2
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
Premium
Munster GAA Chair accused of putting Kerry before province when defeating Clare proposal & GAA top brass back continued Allianz sponsorship
Ballyea 'don't have full control' on their fate heading into final round
CLARE IFC: Banner & Cooraclare book quarter-final places, Naomh Eoin & Wolfe Tones bounce back & Clondegad keep cruising
Corofin on the cusp of knockout football while putting St Breckans on the brink of relegation battle
Dominance from Ennistymon's middle eight sees them advance to last eight & avenge Kilmihil loss

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.