AN OUTCOME on an oral hearing held by An Bord Pleánala held in June to explore future options for Blake’s Corner will not be known “for some months yet,” senior officials in Clare County Council have conceded.

Clare County Council had been hopeful of receiving a decision before the end of 2021 but have not adjusted their expectations. A virtual oral hearing took place on June 9th and 10th via Microsoft Teams. It followed a compulsory purchase order by the local authority for two properties at Blake’s Corner in Ennistymon, fourteen objections had been issued for the CPO.

Under the proposed N67/N85 Inner Relief Road at Ennistymon, traffic congestion issues in the North Clare town will be addressed. It involves the construction of a new bridge approximately 80m upstream of the existing Michael Conway Bridge. The existing bridge, a protected 7-arch masonry bridge, will be pedestrianised to allow pedestrian and cyclist access only, and a plaza will be constructed at the western end.

Cllr Shane Talty (FF) sought an update on the current status of the inner relief road at Monday’s meeting of the Council. “It was subject to media attention in December, some of it negative which suggested years were going back and progress was slow”.

Director of Service, Carmel Kirby referred to a recent accident at Blake’s Corner and said the Council were “eagerly awaiting” a decision from An Bord Pleánala. “It is almost overdue at this stage,” she admitted. Detailed design and land acquisition would follow a favourable outcome, if granted.

Ongoing support of Transport Infrastructure Ireland to finding a solution to Blake’s Corner was acknowledged by Seán Lenihan. The senior engineer in the Council’s project management office added, “some of the negative press over Christmas was disappointing to hear, considerable work has been done in the last couple of years”. He added, “I know we had an accident there before Christmas, over 12,000 cars turning that corner every day in both directions, most driver behaviours are aware of complexity of the junction”.

Lenihan told the meeting that it would be a “multi-million euro project”. The oral hearing “took twelve months” to take place with the planning authority, he said. “It is still with the inspector, it hasn’t gone to the board so I expect it will be a couple of months yet,” the Miltown Malbay native revealed. “If the decision is favourable we will be moving at pace, TII are fully behind a resolution of the current situation”.

Related News

flagmount ns 1
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
michael mcnamara 6
Strong merit in restricting social media use for teens - McNamara
Latest News
chloe philpott
Philpott wins Munster junior singles title
ADI Robotics Clare 041
Robotics workshop rolled out in thirteen Clare schools
flagmount ns 1
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 darragh bohannon 2
Hammer blows leaves Bohannon & Rouine as big injury doubts
Premium
'We want to build steel and the skills will follow' - Foudy focused on building spirit of Clare side
Mid-Term break allowing Clare's injuries to heal
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
'There will be uproar' - farmers fume over preferred route for Limerick to Scariff Greenway
Ennis woman 'deliberately dishonest' in 'frankly shocking' case of dividing farmers will of 120 acre farm & €1.5m

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.