*Security at the entrance to Áras Contae An Chláir on Wednesday morning. Photograph: Tom Micks

CLARE COUNTY COUNCIL ARE forking out a reported €400 daily to a security firm after it beefed up its operations Áras Contae An Chláir in the past week.

Security has been placed at the entrance of Áras Contae An Chláir to monitor who can gain access to the car park of the Council’s headquarters.

This follows the arrival at the beginning of February of an illegal encampment in the car park of Waterpark House which houses the office of the Ennis Municipal District staff and other sections of the local authority.

Extra measures have now been taken at the Áras to prevent any encampments cropping up on Council owned property.

Internal sources within the Council have told The Clare Echo that the local authority is paying up to €400 daily to the security firm at the gate of the Áras with the security personnel estimated to earn €100 per day.

Based on these figures, the Council will have spent €2000 by today (Thursday) with the personnel on duty since last week. The arrangement is expected to be a temporary one.

No figures on the spend were provided by the Council when questioned by The Clare Echo. In a statement, a spokesperson for the local authority outlined, “Security and extra security are sometimes required at different local authority locations around the county for various precautionary reasons and on a temporary basis. As these undertakings are considered and implemented under “security”, unfortunately I am advised that I cannot share any specific details. Áras Contae An Chláir is open for business as usual”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.