*Photograph: Páraic McMahon

A CLARE TD has said Clare County Council are behaving like “the dodgiest of dodgy developers”.

Last week, The Clare Echo reported that Clare County Council applied for a Section 179 planning exemption which enabled the granting of planning permission without any submissions from the public or elected representatives to begin knocking the row of cottages on Francis Street in Ennis.

In October 2022, the Council acquired the block of six cottages. Initially the Council had intended knocking the cottages to build a temporary car park at a fee estimated to be €1.1m. These plans were later scrapped following public campaigns with the site to now become the county’s first affordable housing scheme with 39 apartments to be built.

Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) claimed at this month’s meeting of the Ennis Municipal District that demolition works commenced “without planning permission” and that the removal of the car parking spaces and footpath was “premature”. He stated, “I’d have expected a Section 38 process to be followed for the loss of those car spaces, the review could go on for longer”.

Officials in the Council have “rushed” to get works done, Cllr Tom O’Callaghan (FF) maintained.

Director of Services, Carmel Kirby assured members that the correct process has been followed by Clare County Council. “The affordable housing scheme needs to be completed by the end of 2025, it was always planned we’d carry out the works as quickly as possible”.

Last Monday, the High Court was notified of a judicial review on the application, Director Kirby stated. In response, Cllr Flynn highlighted, “normal practice is works don’t proceed until there is a decision on a legal case”. Kirby stated that enabling works started before Monday and legal advice has yet to be received following the High Court hearing.

This week, Michael McNamara TD (IND) has weighed in on the debate. Having drove into Ennis town on Tuesday morning, the Scariff native admitted he was “shocked to see that the Council was demolishing the houses, one of which was only built in the 1990s and was described when for sale in 2022 as a ‘superb 133.5sqm, 3 bedroom residence’ with an ‘AMV [of] €265,000’ and others, which were older, had been lived in or occupied as business premises in recent years”.

Deputy McNamara told The Clare Echo, “I was even more shocked to learn that the Council had done this after being served with legal proceedings in which the High Court had granted Leave to judicially review the permission the Council had granted itself to develop the site.

“In such circumstances, the usual practice is for developers to await the outcome of the Court case before proceeding. Clare County Council is now acting like the dodgiest of dodgy developers”.

You have access to this article because you are a subscriber of The Clare Echo, thank you for your continued support of journalism in Co Clare.

Related News

cratloe vs feakle 22-08-26 martin daly conor mcgrath enda boyce 1
Lohan behold as Cratloe edge thriller over Feakle at the death
Rural hedgerows in County Clare || Credit: Barry O’Loughlin
€25,000 hedge cutting scheme launched for County Clare
Dromoland Castle Golf Club, Dromoland Castle, Newmarket-on-Fergus, County Clare, Ireland #44
Dromoland Castle seeks planning for new golf maintenance hub
uhl front
UHL hospital parking income rises 222% as calls made to phase out charges
Latest News
clooney:quin vs o'callaghans mills 22-08-26 peter duggan fionn hickey 1
Clooney/Quin claim quarter-final spot & send Mills back into relegation battle
shane flynn 1-2
Flynn among winners at President's Prize weekend in Shannon
Rural hedgerows in County Clare || Credit: Barry O’Loughlin
€25,000 hedge cutting scheme launched for County Clare
kilmihil vs st josephs doora:barefield ladies football 16-08-26 lucy power ailish considine 1
LADIES FOOTBALL: Back to back wins for Banner, Kilmihil & Kilmurry Ibrickane guarantees knockout spots
o'callaghans mills vs clooney quin 07-06-26 keith donnellan daragh keogh 1
Abacus' at the ready for final round of Clare SHC
Premium
Bridge have everything to play for in final round
‘West Clare is diminishing every day’ as calls grow for planning changes 
Scariff scare was Éire Óg's toughest test in two years - O'Connor
CAMOGIE: Winning starts for Inamona, Truagh/Clonlara, Scariff/Ogonnelloe & Newmarket-on-Fergus
Kilmaley must scale The Bridge to take top spot in Group 3

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.