Knocklisheen Direct Provision Centre resident Donnah Vuma with Clare Soroptimists

*Colm Collins. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Outgoing Clare senior football manager Colm Collins has yet to decide whether or not to seek another term in charge.

Speaking to The Clare Echo on Tuesday he said “I have yet to make a decision on that”.

Arguably Clare’s most successful manager, he guided the team to retaining their Division 2 league status for a fifth season in 2020. Since they won promotion to this division, many pundits have predicted that they would be relegated each year, however the Banner came within minutes of securing promotion to Division 1 in the final round of the Allianz National Football League this year.

There had been high hopes amongst Clare football followers this year that the team would qualify for the provincial senior championship final but they suffered a one goal loss to Tipperary in the opening round. Since then Tipperary have gone on to capture the title, their first in eighty five years.

In the days after Clare’s championship defeat, several players called on the Cratloe clubman to continue in the role of team manager. and they remain confident that he will take on the task for an eighth season.

St Joseph Miltown’s Gordon Kelly has announced his retirement this week and told The Clare Echo that Collins was the first man he contacted to notify him of his decision.

Related News

TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
Latest News
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.