“No new information” is included in the Government’s Climate Action Plan on Moneypoint’s future which is “worrying” according to Clare TD, Dr. Michael Harty.

Published by the Government on Monday, the Climate Action Plan stated discussions will continue regarding the future of the West Clare power plant. “We have committed to end the burning of coal in ESB’s Moneypoint generation plant by 2025, and to the replacement of coal-fired generation with low-carbon and renewable technologies. Facilitating this is the recent reform of the EU ETS and changes to the electricity market in Ireland, along with the resulting price signals. The ESB is engaging with the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment regarding the future of Moneypoint”.

Dr. Harty felt the plan “merely reiterates the commitment to end the burning of coal there by 2025, and to the replacement of coal-fired generation with low-carbon and renewable technologies”. Contractors have been let go from Moneypoint with fears that redundancies will be announced in the next month, subsequently the Independent TD said the silence from Government and ESB’s inability to produce plans for post 2025 was “deeply regrettable”.

“What is the plan for the future of Moneypoint or is there any plan at all? Roche departed Clare and the Government failed to find a replacement. Is Moneypoint to go the same way with negative implications for the people and economy of West Clare? Moneypoint is completely different from Roche in that it is State owned and the ESB is answerable to the Government. So far, the current Minister Richard Bruton with responsible for energy has been less than forthright in his response to questions on Moneypoint’s future.

“We are facing a perfect storm in Co Clare with Roche gone, Moneypoint under threat and Shannon Airport facing a crisis of falling numbers. The maintenance of good quality employment and a vibrant economy in rural Clare is vital. So, I call on Minister Richard Bruton and Minister of State Pat Breen to immediately clarity the situation on Moneypoint. Is there a plan and if so, what is,” Harty concluded.

Also on Monday, a meeting scheduled to take place to discuss cost-cutting measures at Moneypoint was not held. It has since been rescheduled for Monday July 8th.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.