*David Tubridy. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

EXPERIENCED CLARE forward, David Tubridy says Éire Óg’s senior footballers are “a step ahead” of the chasing pack.

Ahead of Sunday’s Clare SFC final, Tubridy pinpointed the form of the Ennis side managed by Paul Madden as an impressive trait they have improved on from last year.

He told The Clare Echo, “Éire Óg are entitled to be favourites, they have been best team in the last two years and they don’t seem to be slowing down this year. You have to make them favourites. Ennistymon have been getting the results and have had that bit of luck on their side. Anything can happen on the day”.

Both sides are aided by strong managements, the Doonbeg native believed. Madden is chasing his second Clare SFC title as manager with a set-up that includes former Limerick forward, Seanie Buckley and championship winning captain Peter Cosgrove. Mark Shanahan’s Ennistymon management includes Munster SFC winner Brendan Rouine and ex Clare midfielder Ger Quinlan.

“Paul Madden will have them grounded and will have them ready as they chase a second successive title. Ennistymon have had a lot of success at underage, they have been playing division 1 football since they were under 10, there are a lot of players there with a lot of success. That will stand to them and it did in the last few games. They have found a way to win and Ger Quinlan and Beano and co have done a lot of work,” Tubridy said.

With both Gavin Cooney and Mark McInerney, the top two scorers in this year’s championship, David highlighted how big an asset the danger men are. “Éire Óg are a step ahead of everybody in Clare at the moment. They have a lot of danger men up front, Gavin Cooney and Mark McInerney have been putting up big scores”.

Verdict: Éire Óg

Related News

LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
michael mcnamara 6
Strong merit in restricting social media use for teens - McNamara
clareabbey roundabout 1
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
Latest News
flagmount ns 1
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 darragh bohannon 2
Hammer blows leaves Bohannon & Rouine as big injury doubts
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
clare v tipperary camogie 21-05-22 17 muireann scanlon
'We want to build steel and the skills will follow' - Foudy focused on building spirit of Clare side
Premium
Mid-Term break allowing Clare's injuries to heal
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
'There will be uproar' - farmers fume over preferred route for Limerick to Scariff Greenway
Ennis woman 'deliberately dishonest' in 'frankly shocking' case of dividing farmers will of 120 acre farm & €1.5m
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.